RA.100 - Richie Hawtin

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

minimalwyte
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimalwyte »

HAWTINS THE BEST-------------------------> PEACE!
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

minimalwyte wrote:HAWTINS THE BEST-------------------------> PEACE!
No your the BEST! :lol:
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

to all responses in this thread that have said along the lines of "oh i love how it blurs the line between live act and dj" or "oh its doing something new, groundbreaking" ... this is for you:

you need listen to things blindly. if you listened to it without knowing its richie and without knowing he's doing an experiment with loops and chunks of other songs then you would not have liked it as much.

only one thing matters: what comes out of the speakers. you're not supposed to be wacking off while listening to it saying to your girlfriend in the car who's listening to it with you saying "listen honey! that's 3 different songs at once i can hear the elements i know those tracks! oh wow its so technically cool, wow. richie is so adventurous". while she is bored out of her fukn mind, you're so excited because you know its richie's experiment.
Barry Gaj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barry Gaj »

stevësto wrote:to all responses in this thread that have said along the lines of "oh i love how it blurs the line between live act and dj" or "oh its doing something new, groundbreaking" ... this is for you:

you need listen to things blindly. if you listened to it without knowing its richie and without knowing he's doing an experiment with loops and chunks of other songs then you would not have liked it as much.

only one thing matters: what comes out of the speakers. you're not supposed to be wacking off while listening to it saying to your girlfriend in the car who's listening to it with you saying "listen honey! that's 3 different songs at once i can hear the elements i know those tracks! oh wow its so technically cool, wow. richie is so adventurous". while she is bored out of her fukn mind, you're so excited because you know its richie's experiment.

Spot on!!.....listen with your ears not your eyes!! :shock:
Oosh ya beezer
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

And for the people hating on this mix - they need to do the same. I'm sure if some of you listened to the mix without knowing it's Richie, you may have enjoyed it a bit more.

Personally, I enjoyed the end-result of the mix quite a bit. When I first put it on, I didn't know the track listing, I didn't know what he was doing 'technically' with it. I wasn't sitting there wit a track listing in one hand and a bottle of lube in the other. I was actually dancing around my apartment for a good portion of the set. And well, it's the first set of Richies that's made me do that in quite some time now (his recorded sets that I've downloaded have bored me lately)

Then, the day after - I read his interview with RA and saw what he was doing with the mix. Then I didnt really start to dwell/anaylize into that much detail until this thread.

I'm a bit of a geek/nerd - I like to know how things work. When I see / hear something that I enjoy, I like to know the process behind it. Enjoying the end result is the most important part, however knowing the process behind it 'excites the geek in me'. Knowing technically what went into something enhances my appreciation for it.

So please, dont tell me how I should/should not be enjoying/listening to the music that I like.

Richie isn't god, everything he touch isn't gold, and this mix isn't the king-sh!t, bomb, best mix of the year. However, it is an all around solid mix (not the best, but not the worst), that made me dance, and I also appreciate it on a technical level as it excites the geek in me to see/hear where his direction is going.

Yeah, the blind love-in "OMG, Richie is the best! zomg, this mix is the most amazing thing ever" posts are silly. But so are the hate-on "OMG, Richie sucks - this mix is sh!t, why cant he produce another Decks, Efx & 909?" posts.
Last edited by shypht on Mon May 12, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

shypht wrote: I'm a bit of a geek/nerd - I like to know how things work. When I see / hear something that I enjoy, I like to know the process behind it. Enjoying the end result is the most important part, however knowing the process behind it 'excites the geek in me'. Knowing technically what went into something enhances my appreciation for it.
, and I also appreciate it on a technical level as it excites the geek in me to see/hear where his direction is going.
these quotes explain it all.
minimalwyte
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimalwyte »

HAWTINS THE BEST!
Barry Gaj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barry Gaj »

minimalwyte wrote:HAWTINS THE BEST!
The best what??......SELL OUT??