[FOFLTD11] Nail - Ode Rammel

- wax
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: [FOFLTD11] Nail - Ode Rammel

Post by dirddey_iddler »

@fof:

this sub-discussion was about a more generic question.

How do you get the rights and how you made the deal, is your business. It changes nothing to the repress question. how you realized the repress, is a good contribution behind your label work. But why do you took these tracks?? There are enough tracks from Nail?
fear_of_flying
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fear_of_flying »

dirddey_iddler wrote:@fof:

this sub-discussion was about a more generic question.

How do you get the rights and how you made the deal, is your business. It changes nothing to the repress question. how you realized the repress, is a good contribution behind your label work. But why do you took these tracks?? There are enough tracks from Nail?
It does indeed change the nature of the repress question as I was answering the generic point using my release as an example. It applies to pretty much all labels, trust me - I've been doing this and running many other labels (not my own) for quite some time - the label is only the 'carrier' of the music for the specified length.

In other words the 'original' label only licensed the music from the artist in the first instance - they don't have any other claim themselves.
Dardis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dardis »

fear_of_flying wrote:In other words the 'original' label only licensed the music from the artist in the first instance - they don't have any other claim themselves.
Exactly, the tracks belong to the artist that wrote them & as a result they can do whatever they like with them. I get a little miffed when something i've spent £££ on gets a repress, but ultimately you just have to accept that may happen. An artist given the chance to get extra revenue/recognition from a release is nearly always going to do it - there isn't anything wrong with that, it is after all their art to sell.

Also let's be honest here, most of the animosity here is because people have forked out £££ for this after Zip dropped 'Till The Feelings Gone' - nothing more, nothing less. Spot the difference when it's not a Zip related record:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... it=huckaby

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Adventur ... ease/17992

Nobody batted an eyelid that Ferox weren't behind the RP - in fact everyone seemed quite happy about it!
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Now we are at the beginnig from the circle.

The permission of your and other labels represses dont change anything to the facts we discussed already. Refer also to GLAM previous posts.

Your contribution dont answer the questions from other members why we think about represses in this way.

Everybody was talking about Zips Fabric release and his tracks. As i said, very obvious that always well known djs played rare records, a sudden rerelease appears.

P.S.: i accept represses and would buy them too to save my originals. but a repress cant have the standing as the original release.
Last edited by dirddey_iddler on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fear_of_flying
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fear_of_flying »

I'm going to try and make this real easy... Blitz asked this question:
blizt wrote:Just one more thing. I have a question for GLAM and dirddey: would you see a problem in having these labels releasing their old stuff in wav/mp3? Will you cry your heart out if all the Elevate stuff appeared on beatport?

I want to understand you guys, really.
To which you replied:
dirddey_iddler wrote:No. Digital and Vinyl are different things!! A label who rerelease their own stuff Like Trelik, Aspect, Perlon etc. is okay. Digital Releases help to survive newer labels. Vinyl is a hard business nowadays.
Then Breton said....
breton wrote:
dirddey_iddler wrote:A label who rerelease their own stuff Like Trelik, Aspect, Perlon etc. is okay.
So what difference does it make on what label was the record re-released?
to which you further replied...
dirddey_iddler wrote:Yes, because the original Release was the Work of the Label before.

They took the Risk etc. The Credits belongs to them. Thats why I never wrote i have the rights on any tracks or something on a original pressed record.
Above is what you wrote regarding rereleases - it's 'ok' for the original label to rerelease blah blah blah... BUT if the original label only licenses the track from the artist in the first place, as i've established, then once that period has expired, in my labels case 5 years, another label is free to sign that track and do whatever they want with it... be it press up on vinyl or release digitally. There is NO 'it's ok for the original label...' if the actual music is outside of the agreed term.

You're putting too much emphasis on the label and it simply doesn't work that way. The ARTIST owns the music, no one else. It is simply licensed to whoever at the time.

I really do hope that answers it!
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Yes. All these things are justifications to your repress release.

You cant answer my questions and you answer only with the same arguments.

5 years or not, permession or not, approval from the artist or not, you could also signed other tracks. You choosed this, because they are well known and will give you a less risk. Of course, exposure and sharing are nice side effects.

We will see what are your next represses.
fear_of_flying
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fear_of_flying »

dirddey_iddler wrote:Yes. All these things are justifications to your repress release.

You cant answer my questions and you answer only with the same arguments.

5 years or not, permession or not, approval from the artist or not, you could also signed other tracks. You choosed this, because they are well known and will give you a less risk. Of course, exposure and sharing are nice side effects.

We will see what are your next represses.
My last post wasn't even directly about my release. I was answering your point about why you think it's ok for only the original label - whoever that may be, Perlon whatever... to rerelease / release on digital when, no - It's up to the artist and the term they'd agreed with the label. You put far too much emphasis on the label.

Now to clear the other point up:

I've actually already answered this way back but I shall now put it out in the form of a statement:

'I DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE THAT WELL KNOWN BECAUSE I AM NOT A MESSAGE BOARD REGULAR NOR DO I FOLLOW THE CAREER PATHS OF ZIP et al. I LICENSED THEM BECAUSE I LIKED THEM'

Is that now clear? It's a very odd thing to be told what I was thinking when I signed them.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

Yes. You mentioned all these. I understand your statements in some points.

You mustnt check message boards, RA some gritty newsletters or FB posts will give you whats going on.