Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

VIVIANNEPROJECTS wrote:
isa wrote:
ri wrote:Maybe looking at it like this: if Hawtin didn't exist, would there be the minimal scene like we have today?
I will answer you the question. The scene would have been the same.
Sorry ISa but thats just a dumb statement... tally how many times he has dj'd and how many people have heard him/ minimal or not... and the impact is evident. It's just a matter of fact. :)
Of course Rich has done many things for the scene, but that doesn't make the one and only person involved in minimal becoming more mainstream these days.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:I think debate about the past or future of "minimal" is kinda weird since a lot of the people participating don't neccesarily have the same classification about what is being discussed and in actuality, people are talking about the future and history of different music.
That's exactly the point, and I sometimes fear that for alot of people, "minimal"= m_nus.
But I don't want to give the impression that I might minimize Hawtin's influence in what's happening right now in the electronic dance scene though I think that the influence of Plus 8 is way more important than m_nus on a lager scale.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

you got it idealstandard! :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote: I think debate about the past or future of "minimal" is kinda weird since a lot of the people participating don't neccesarily have the same classification about what is being discussed and in actuality, people are talking about the future and history of different music.
i think that sums it up really, theres been a thread of minimalism running through electronic music since it began, so how you perceive 'minimal' depends on when, where and how you were introduced to it.
the explosion of 'minimal' in recent times will recede very soon, like all fashions, but minimal music wont go away, there will always be a small core of people who believe in it as an artform and push it forward in a distilled and improved form, incorporating what they have learnt from the latest wave.

m_nus has had its part to play for sure, but its only one piece in the jigsaw.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

isa wrote:you got it idealstandard! :)
Dankeschön. :oops:
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

idealstandard wrote:I think that the influence of Plus 8 is way more important than m_nus on a lager scale.
idealstandard wrote:I think that the influence of Plus 8 is way more important than m_nus on a lager scale.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:
Yep, I do! :D :D :D
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

idealstandard wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:I think debate about the past or future of "minimal" is kinda weird since a lot of the people participating don't neccesarily have the same classification about what is being discussed and in actuality, people are talking about the future and history of different music.
That's exactly the point, and I sometimes fear that for alot of people, "minimal"= m_nus.
But I don't want to give the impression that I might minimize Hawtin's influence in what's happening right now in the electronic dance scene though I think that the influence of Plus 8 is way more important than m_nus on a lager scale.
Plus8 and Minus are one in the same in my eyes, just different logos to organize stuff in their office or something these days, and I very much like the output of both. The sum of the output of both labels is something greater I think and I really like.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "