mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Farabee »

Double post, apologies.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Farabee wrote: house like Marco Carola are pumping out pure garbage like the Apnea release on Plus8. It's really the only way he can eat, and I can't fault him for that.

As an aside, what kills me the most about that particular example is he was already producing brilliant minimal tracks on the B-sides of Question, there was no need to pander to the ultra-mnml crowd at all. It's just stupid.
i fucking LOVE that record. go to hell.
keto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by keto »

stevësto wrote:
õ

since when you're fan of Marco's music?

just asking...
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

keto wrote:
stevësto wrote:
õ

since when you're fan of Marco's music?

just asking...
since hearing that record. thats the only record ive heard from him. but its a damn good record and it got people off my couch at my afterparty
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

i like the new plus 8. marco's been a top notch producer for years. not sure how much he is catering to the sound, though. i think he is mainly just doing his thing.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Red Kite wrote:
trak660 wrote:When I first started spinning, it was all about covering up the labels on your records so no one could see.
I always hated that attitude. DJs should be promoters of the music they're playing. Everything alse is disrespectful to the artists who actually made the music.
I didn't say that I do this myself. I'll tell anyone what I play.
It's just an example of how hard it was to find out about new music in the 1990s versus now.
At least it was a bit of challenge back then. Today, especially with file sharing, any jerk can get Traktor and thousands of techno tracks plus, it's acceptable to let a machine spin the tracks for you. If you ask me, automated DJing and hardware/software with pre-packaged "dance" sounds are what's killing the integrity of the music.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

Farabee wrote:
jpls wrote:Right now though I think that the old loop techno got a lot more creative with the sounds and the way they were arranged and composed than about 65% of minimal I hear. The reason why the genre is so flooded is because it's the only thing that's selling right now, so many producers who created some truly brilliant material in the realm of techno and tech-house like Marco Carola are pumping out pure garbage like the Apnea release on Plus8.
Well said, I don't really have any opinion on what Carola is up to these days but you've nailed the degree to which the market has become saturated.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

to add to this once again. For those of you arguing over Marco, congradulations. At least you are arguing over an obscure brand of music on a classic but still not so known label (depending on who you ask of course). Could be having the same arguement of timberland or some sh!t. I like his new plus8 sh!t, just to add to that.

Now, farebee said "Or they can all move to Indiana and see how truly "underground" this sht is. Nothin' like playing techno for about 20 bored college kids at a PBS event amirite? "

I agree, for those people with little to no exposure and 0 taste in electronic music, droney sh!t doesn't work. So, I just play bouncy sh!t and classic sh!t and get them into it. Same deal here in little fredericksburg. People respond to bouncy sh!t. Once you have em moving, then you can come with some different sh!t. Just what i have noticed.