Why drum machines?

- ask away
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

with eggnchips on this one. got a 707 and boy its just SO much fun.

I am jealous he's got the 727 - i really want that next. In fact I am saving up for that and the 909. :)
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Nobody take this personally because this is just a general statement...

To be honest I get a little tired of the blasé airs people carry about electronic music especially when it comes to music gear. Can't use samples anymore unless you recorded them yourself using the reverb of a highway underpass, using a DAW is uncool and uncreative because of the limitless possibilities, don't ever use a preset on a synth because they all suck, you have to be OTB to make worthwhile techno and so on. This sucks and that sucks and whatever, whatever. Its an attitude that can be fatiguing after awhile. I understand where AK is coming from.

I have a perception there is too much negativity, especially around the gear or methods people use to make music. I am not actually saying that any of you specifically are negative but everyone's little comments add up. Eventually the subject has a negative vibe. Like the joke about "drum machines suck, unless you like them.." Yeah you are joking I suppose but what is the point? Its just another one of those little negative comments in the big bucket. I don't know. Drum machines are alright. You probably made some guy who just bought a new drum machine cry. Hes probably lying in bed with it right now stroking it and whispering, "dont worry, I still love you."

It makes me think about that guy who posted a little while back, asking if it is ok to use the synths in Ableton Live. How ridiculous that sounds. This is the culture being created. A guy spends hundreds of dollars on some industry standard software but is worried that people won't respect his production if he uses the instruments in this expensive software. It boggles the mind! Or my mind at least.

I think its all cool, DAWS, analog hardware, softsynths, sample banks, hand percussion instruments, flutes, feild recordings, spring reverbs, vst effects... I like it all. I think everything has its place. The production forum seems more like a gear forum these days. Half the posts go something like this.... "I am thinking about getting a (company brand)(random letters and numbers, possibly a dash too). Is it worth it?" Pretty boring, maybe there should be a gear forum and the production forum.

I think almost everyone would agree that modular synthesis would be a fun thing to try out. Still, its just another thing out there. If I had lots of extra space and money I would certainly give it a whirl but all the patch work kind of turns me off a bit. How do you manage all that stuff? I would probably go OCD and start keeping a spreadsheet of my gear and favourite patches. Everyone seemed to enjoy the short video clip steevio posted on the modular synthesis thread. I know the mods have gone over this many times but I think the forum could use an upgrade. A forum about a kind of media should really have some form of media communication. I think it would help move people past the world of "I like this" and "that thing sucks" to a better world of "here, look what we can do with this." I think that is really the crux of the problem.

Then again, maybe that is just my wishful thinking. I wish that instead of reading peoples comments about how much better something is I could see actual examples in action. Gear is nice and all but its the music that matters isn't it?

Just to reiterate... Nobody take this personally because this was mostly just a general statement.

This is how I've felt of this forum for quite some time. There's a wealth of knowledge and people do share a lot here, but there's plenty of negativity too and it's unwaranted. .

I expected to read more about "production" Lately I see is someone post how do I get "this synth sound" and by the 3rd reply that OP is blasted for even thinking of the question. I would like to see more discussion about actual production, such as, "Hi Shepard, i'm enjoying your new track, can you explain why you have the transition at the 32nd bar.... how did you achieve that build up in the B Section... etc etc" Instead there can be a lot of noise here soemtimes as you have pointed out above.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

if you don't like it do something positive.... start a thread in the spirit of what you think is good and true.

I can only speak for myself, but ever since I've posted here... I've tried to help others in their music and tried to help other people grow. I think we have something special in this forum... Not everyone can study at university... I know personally that I never considered myself a musician, or felt that I had talent... I was drifting thru life and one thing led to another... I suddenly found myself growing and being able to express myself musically. I was driven enough to find out everything that I wanted... but being on this forum really helped me to take myself to the next level. I consider myself a professional musician now, not that I've made any money from this thing.

Anyways. I've wanted to share and contribute to this forum becuase I feel it is such a magical thing... an open forum in a profession/industry/skill that is often very closed and elitist... behind closed doors.

I personally have strong views about some things... but I always try to cotnribute to this forum in the spirit of wanting to help and to learn.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

oblio you are dumb and stupid! *mumble* the jews did it!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i can't follow your sense of humour but I want to... it sounds stupid and juvenile enough to be just about right.

I think I realised why we've been arguing so much... this forum needs more emoticons (-)
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

definitely need more emoticons. I'd vote for the guy eating popcorn one which is perfect for lurkers like me watching the drama.

On the topic of drum machines, I have a 909 and I use it all the time. I think it boils down to immediacy and interface. Since I work with computers all day, sometimes at night I just like to plug together boxes and sequence stuff without a screen.

The 909 has a lot of options aside from sequencing it's internal sounds. I use it clock my sh-101 or my modular, sync with a mc202 and it can output a second midi sequence to my computer or any other midi synth. Loads of fun.

I can midi sync Ableton to my 909 or vice versa. I can write sequences in Ableton and have them played on the 909. Or I can program drum sounds in Ableton and have the 909 sequence trigger them.

If you feel limited by the 909's swing options and only like setting up shuffle on your modular then you could always use a trigger-to-midi converter. I've built one of those using ucapps midibox hw and I use it to trigger midi machines like the 909 from the modular.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

:)
Last edited by steevio on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

(*)
Last edited by steevio on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.