The Promo Mix

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

iainkerr7 wrote:Can anyone name a DJ that has actually improved since going digital?
That's very subjective, no?
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

patrick bateman wrote:
iainkerr7 wrote:Can anyone name a DJ that has actually improved since going digital?
That's very subjective, no?
Completely, but I personally can't think of any so just curious if anyone can.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I've heard Hawtin, Loco Dice, Luciano and Magda play some outstanding sets on Traktor (vinyl control), but again, I couldn't care less if they played those set on vinyl, cd or digital.

I've heard Ben Klock play at 70% cd/30% vinyl set. I think that was at least as good as when he plays 70% vinyl/30% cd. Didn't make the big difference.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

patrick bateman wrote:I've heard Hawtin, Loco Dice, Luciano and Magda play some outstanding sets on Traktor (vinyl control), but again, I couldn't care less if they played those set on vinyl, cd or digital.
Do you think they are any better for going digital?

I saw Hawtin play a fantastic set on Serato, but I much prefer his 90's sets.
I have only ever saw Loco Dice play on Traktor and he was alright, but never heard him play records.
WillieSmalls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WillieSmalls »

ChrisCV wrote: F1 drivers don't drive stick either.. they use semi automatic gearboxes... are they moronic too? no... they use automatic gearboxes because the machine can change gears faster, more accurately and more efficiently.... doing so means they can go faster and do more... just another example of technology helping improve a task...
Technology has destroyed F1, all skill has been taken out of the hands of the driver, much like digital djing. Lewis hamilton was on tv recently driving Stirling Moss' original F1 car and his words were "It's a complete driving experience, one you cannot replicate with todays car."
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Technology has destroyed F1, all skill has been taken out of the hands of the driver, much like digital djing. Lewis hamilton was on tv recently driving Stirling Moss' original F1 car and his words were "It's a complete driving experience, one you cannot replicate with todays car."
Willie Smalls i salute you, absolutely bang on.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

A DJ should use whatever format best suits them. I use decks because I think it's more fun. Someone who likes effects and more layers of tracks should be using Ableton or something. Vinyl has been a niche market for about 30 years. It will only become more expensive to produce. In the US, a vinyl DJ purchases almost everything by mail order. There is no train to hop on, here. Digital has allowed American DJs to stay current with their music. 7-10 hour drives suck, and so do record prices. A release has to be very special for me to purchase the vinyl. Usually, I just get the wav version of my favorite ones and 320 for the rest. I'm no longer hung up on formats, but will continue to use Technics to beatmatch. It's what is best for me.

When I get back to my computer, I will download this mix from Soundcloud. Seems like it was put together with great care.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

iainkerr7 wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:I've heard Hawtin, Loco Dice, Luciano and Magda play some outstanding sets on Traktor (vinyl control), but again, I couldn't care less if they played those set on vinyl, cd or digital.
Do you think they are any better for going digital?

I saw Hawtin play a fantastic set on Serato, but I much prefer his 90's sets.
I have only ever saw Loco Dice play on Traktor and he was alright, but never heard him play records.
But really it's hard to compare, because it's as much about what kind of music they play now vs then.
Yes, Luciano was much better when I heard him play a traktor (vinyl control) set 3 years ago, compared to his vinyl only set 10 years ago, which was super dull and boring.