Track selection
81%
Other skills
8%

Total votes: 90

mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by . »

Violett, Carla Tintore, Magda Speranza. Three ladies playing vinyl since the 90s and nobody knows them outside my country (except for Violett, there is a few more but not playing mnml)...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Anoesjka from Holland. She can kick all our butts. Mixes on three decks, with vinyl, and flawless too I might add. Shinedoe is also great when she gets to play a nice long set.

But I do agree that many female dj's get bookings because of their looks or because the promotor thinks he can get some action (fail!). On the other hand, lots of male dj's also get bookings for all reasons except having talent :lol:
lcaise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcaise »

if you don't know how beatmach 2 tracks You are not a dj.

simply
facebook.com/lcaise.official
facebook.com/tanztonerecords
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

oh c'mon you guys serious about cassy stephie etc beeing technically great deejays and totally compareable to the male technical leaders.. ??

i agree with shinedoe.. also tini came to my mind.. just technically of course.. in general cassy is amazing :D

i like the female deejays you guys named too.. even lovin some of them.. but i simply can't understand how you tell me they are technically on the same level like the best males.. cause they are not even close..
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

roland wrote:
djshiva wrote:
I know I am coming in on this one late, but...this comic always sums up the particular sexist stereotype you just dropped.

i know it sounds sexist and like a stereotype.. and there are thousands of male deejays and just a few are technical great..
actually i just think there are less technical good female deejays cause female deejays themselves are already rare..

but can you name three technical good female deejays?? honestly i can't even name one who can mess with the male counterparts..

damn this definitely sounds sexist :?
The problem that you don't seem to recognize, is that because we live in a fucked up sexist world, women sometimes get booked for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with their technical skill on the decks.

That leaves plenty of women who can rock the sh!t out of a set of turntables, but refuse to play the "looks" game, that are typically well known in their regions, but perhaps not "famous" (or at least, famous worldwide).

Is this because women are inherently not good at DJing? Or that somehow there is some genetic difference between men and women when it comes to maneuvering their way around turntables? I mean seriously, listen to what you're saying. Does it make any logical sense? Is it possible that you are simply not hearing the technically brilliant female DJs because there are other factors at work here?

No, it means that there's an imbalance in how women are perceived, and that imbalance seems to work in favor of those who play the "pretty girl" game, regardless of their skills as DJs. That doesn't mean that pretty girls cannot be good DJs, and it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't play the game is highly skilled on the decks. It just is what it is...an imbalance that puts the lion's share of attention on something OTHER than actual talent.

It's not JUST that, either. There are a multitude of factors that women deal with that you just don't see. Maybe asking, instead of assuming, would be a decent approach.

But anyways, I get so sick of my entire gender being judged on a few people, when there are a gerbajillion dudes on the decks who absolutely suck donkey balls. And you don't have to worry about someone coming to a gig, seeing you're a guy and saying, "Well, all those dudes I saw the other night trainwrecked...I bet this guy will suck too. I mean, he's a dude, right?"

Sounds fairly ridiculous, doesn't it?
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

roland wrote:oh c'mon you guys serious about cassy stephie etc beeing technically great deejays and totally compareable to the male technical leaders.. ??

i agree with shinedoe.. also tini came to my mind.. just technically of course.. in general cassy is amazing :D

i like the female deejays you guys named too.. even lovin some of them.. but i simply can't understand how you tell me they are technically on the same level like the best males.. cause they are not even close..
who are the supposed alpha males of djing
- matt
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

roland wrote:oh c'mon you guys serious about cassy stephie etc beeing technically great deejays and totally compareable to the male technical leaders.. ??

Can you please tell us what you think technical ability is?

You type/read like you don't have a clue.