RA.100 - Richie Hawtin

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

minimalwyte
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimalwyte »

in the game for a long time, i been listenin to electronic musik since like 94. i guess you been listenin to techno and sh!t since like maybe what 1990, i guess that makes you a professional. 14 years i been listenin and hawtin is the best in my opinion. HAWTIN IS THE BEST! because i said hawtin is the best, you went ahead and assumed that i like everything that he does. who said that? you just assumed, i like almost everything he does. i dont like transitions too much, it doesnt do as much as closer to the edit or the first de9. you shouldnt assume man. its bad for your health. i like t his podcast, its pretty fresh, not all of it is good but there are some fresh parts to it. all in all its a fresh mix for me.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

PsyTox wrote:
shypht wrote: When DJ's start using the technology to do new/interesting things that were not possible before - then thats when things start to get interesting .
that's just the point: what exactly do they do with Ableton that is so new and spectacular that you didn't see from gifted vinyl dj's?

Don't get me wrong, I use Ableton too, and love it. To me personally is a step too far away from dj'ing. It's more towards a live act for me.
But in the end, if you make the people dance and you don't stand behind your laptop like you're checking your mails, it's all fine by me 8)
and that's the part I find interesting - the move towards blurring the lines between DJ's and live acts.

I've found that I generally tend to gravitate more towards Live PA's vs DJ sets. When I look back at the stuff I've downloaded the past few years, and the sets that stand out as being my favorites and ones I listen to over and over again, PA's make up a good portion of my "Top 10 all time favorites".

There is something about how a good live PA flows/progresses and builds that appeals to me. When it's well done, it feels like there is a certain methodical/process behind how they build up. However, I hate PA's though where you can clearly tell "Song 1 is over, now lets start Song 2" without much flow/mix between the two. To me, it feels like the equivalent of a DJ playing a record out to just about the end and flicking a crossfader quickly to the next track. Then, some PA's do fall into the territory of being too loopy/plodding that dont have many/any 'wow' moments and lack an energy that seem to be easier to achieve in a DJ set.

What I think Hawtin is doing with Ableton, is sort of blurring the lines between DJ / producing / Live act. Stripping songs down into basic elements/loops, then re-arranging them in a way that feels more like a live act then a straight up DJ set. This is fairly evident in Transitions, the podcast seems to feel like an experiment in seeing 'what does and does not work to try and take that same idea to a live setting and outside of the studio'.

Live acts/PAs and DJ sets both have elements that I like (and sometimes dislike), and think that the blurring between the two that technology is starting to allow is pretty interesting, and curious to see where things end up in a few years.
keto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by keto »

Speedy J and Chris Liebing have been doing that for a few years already...
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

and I rather enjoy their sets.

Same with Ric Y Martin and Dandy Jack & The Junction SM

Different people are approaching it in different ways and leveraging different technologies to do it. Seeing how newer technology can enable/change this/make it easier/open new possibilities/etc is something that catches my interest.

Not claiming that Richie is the first/only person to be doing this, but I do find what he's doing, and how he's doing it to be interesting and enjoyable to listen to.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

yeah, people might have been doing it before richie, but, sadly enough, most people don't seem to give a sh!t UNTIL its richie doing it, then they suddenly all jump on the bandwagon and become sheep to the system.

i've always hated that the people that do things before richie get zero respect or credit, but as soon as he does a worldwide tour with a cube and a spacebus and some retarded gimmick, THEN everyone is like "oh! richie is a genius!"
jackyx
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackyx »

element.8 wrote:yeah, people might have been doing it before richie, but, sadly enough, most people don't seem to give a sht UNTIL its richie doing it, then they suddenly all jump on the bandwagon and become sheep to the system.

i've always hated that the people that do things before richie get zero respect or credit, but as soon as he does a worldwide tour with a cube and a spacebus and some retarded gimmick, THEN everyone is like "oh! richie is a genius!"
lol cry more ;)

there has to be a reason for this, ..

prolly beeing and STAYING in this buisiness for a LONG time ?
prolly releasing really good stuff over a 20 year lifespan ?

same goes for minus/plus8 blablabla ..

as for this mix i repeat myself -> its crap =)
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

jackyx wrote:lol cry more ;)

there has to be a reason for this, ..

prolly beeing and STAYING in this buisiness for a LONG time ?
prolly releasing really good stuff over a 20 year lifespan ?

same goes for minus/plus8 blablabla ..

as for this mix i repeat myself -> its crap =)

uhh...i'm not crying about it, guy, i'm making a statement. jump to conclusions much?
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

faunty wrote:Image
Kudos on the edit work!

Concur with wallpaper statement. 8)