The Minimal artistic ideal

- ask away
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I would like to add another question to this list.

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

In response to the original post that started this thread I would like to add another question to this list.
sauce wrote:1. If I compose an orchestral piece of music featuring 100 musical movements, for 100 different instruments, but composed only in one scale, is the piece minimal?

2. If I compose another piece featuring many different scales and parts for 100 players, but they are all playing the same instrument (i.e. violas), is it minimal?

3. If I design a building with no decorum on the facade and no windows, is it minimal? What if it's a kilometer high and I use 10 million bricks? Is a highly decorated and ornate building more minimal than the previous building if it is only 1 meter high?

4? How shall I paint a minimal painting? Shall I make it very small? Should I use a very large canvas, yet only paint in a small area in the bottom corner? Perhaps I should make it very intricate as well as large, but I should only use one color?
5. If a piece of music is composed in a very complex fashion but consists of only one instrument or even better yet only one instrument with only one string is that minimal?

I would like to share with all of you an example of minimalism that I found exciting. This is a video of a Chinese Erhu player named Yu Hongmei.

In this vid there is a piano playing backup to Yu so it may not be the perfect example to illustrate my point but I like it anyways.

:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6LVYisnYY

*** Amendment - apparently there are two strings to an ehru. The only place I have ever seen an ehru in real life was on a subway platform. There was an old man that would spend all day playing his ehru and selling CD's. (One of which I purchased)

Is it an unfortunate or fortunate occurrence to see a person of talent selling music in that manner on a subway platform? For me it is fortunate and enriching, to him? maybe not, then again maybe that is his calling...

Respect for those that suffer to enrich others is important I think.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I must have some special power

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I must have some special power to kill threads. Almost every post I make ends a thread. I should start blogging in favor of people whose politics I don't agree with. I might change the world!
Magnus Molin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Magnus Molin »

Minimal techno is a form of electronic dance music (EDM) that is considered a minimalist sub-genre of techno. It is characterized by a stripped-down[1] aesthetic that exploits the use of repetition, and understated development. This style of dance music production generally adheres to the motto less is more; a principle that has been previously utilized, to great effect, in architecture, design, visual art, and Western art music. The tradition of minimalist aesthetics in Western culture can be traced to the German Bauhaus movement (1919 to 1933). Minimal techno is thought to have been originally developed in the early 1990s by Detroit based producers Robert Hood and Daniel Bell.
Copied from Wikipedia