Unreleased music being shared - politics

- wax
frisfris
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by frisfris »

Why people buy records?!? many people should buy the records for playing it.But why buying a record wich was spreaded all over the net 1 month or more before the release date?should u play a record that has been played by EVERYONE (bedroom djs or not) ages before the release date?i personally wont.M_Nus and Plus8 send me promos of every release.But im very sad seeing everybody can get after few days before me and the others lucky guy in mnus promolist.If i play it and put it on a set people may think i got it illegally...i dont want feel a crap or a music stealer with people.What i should do?! Maybe is time doing something against this. I was felling better years ago when techno was not so hyped and music rips over the web were just low birthdate vinyl rips,not good enough to play out
another boring electronic musician...
betzy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by betzy »

frisfris wrote:Why people buy records?!? many people should buy the records for playing it.But why buying a record wich was spreaded all over the net 1 month or more before the release date?should u play a record that has been played by EVERYONE (bedroom djs or not) ages before the release date?i personally wont.M_Nus and Plus8 send me promos of every release.But im very sad seeing everybody can get after few days before me and the others lucky guy in mnus promolist.If i play it and put it on a set people may think i got it illegally...i dont want feel a crap or a music stealer with people.What i should do?! Maybe is time doing something against this. I was felling better years ago when techno was not so hyped and music rips over the web were just low birthdate vinyl rips,not good enough to play out
i completely agree.
personally im bored and sad about the situation.
im leaving this music world for a while...i will listen only 2Pac, Prince & Freddie Mercury...music is my love, my 1st women, and now she's becoming a fuckin bitch.
that's all.
the only positive thing that make me happy is that thanks music i met a lot of wonderful people that i love and admire like u all and many others.
i just want to break down and cry now :cry:
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

I still think you guys are seeing this at hte wrong angle. The more people illegally downloading your stuff means the more people are aware of what you are doing. This should generate much more interest in bookings, which pay better anyway, no? The more the market gets flooded with illegal copies, the more any dj will have to work whatever material they are playing.

I am not one of those downloaders (its more of a challenge to find creative commons tracks that really kill it and i dont dj anyway), but downloading isnt gonna go away. By not sharing it with some strange "friend" it seems like you just delay the inevitable. Getting blue in the face does not change anything in a different corner of the planet
freeeeeee
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Der geile Ami wrote:I still think you guys are seeing this at hte wrong angle. The more people illegally downloading your stuff means the more people are aware of what you are doing. This should generate much more interest in bookings, which pay better anyway, no? The more the market gets flooded with illegal copies, the more any dj will have to work whatever material they are playing.
To be honest I'm not so sure about this anymore. I don't believe much in that sentence. I don't believe that the people downloading lot's of tracks are the same people doing bookings at the clubs, I don't believe that these people really do have any influence in our scene regarding bookings and such, do you see what I mean?
Even though it might make some extra awareness, the same ranking is still present in the illegal scene, meaning that the big ones gets most attention and such.

Der geile Ami wrote: I am not one of those downloaders (its more of a challenge to find creative commons tracks that really kill it and i dont dj anyway), but downloading isnt gonna go away. By not sharing it with some strange "friend" it seems like you just delay the inevitable. Getting blue in the face does not change anything in a different corner of the planet

Agreed. It won't go away, it's here to stay and I don't think there's much to do about it. One thing I know is that I myself, and other artists/labels and such shouldn't be to annoyed by it, because then you will make your life a bitch.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Der geile Ami wrote: The more the market gets flooded with illegal copies, the more any dj will have to work whatever material they are playing.
Taken the point the artists really profit from illegal downloads (what I highly doubt) - what about labels? You don't book labels. The only live from record & data sells and licenses. There's nothing to compensate that.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

and not every producer does lives or dj sets... but hey, I've noticed that any reason is good enough in these discussions
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

PsyTox wrote:and not every producer does lives or dj sets... but hey, I've noticed that any reason is good enough in these discussions
Then the producers should go fucking adapt if they want ot make any money. I am always hearing that without any money, producers have to work day jobs and dont have time for music. I hear that, but how many guys were putting out multiple albums a year before mp3s?

And the labels should as well. An example is tying in a booking agency with the label, such as minus/clonk. Or how about putting on label parties?

You guys have every right to be miffed, but lots of people get fucked over by this industry and still find a way to live within and enjoy it. Seriously, what is complaining going to accomplish?
freeeeeee
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

"Good idea from that guy, let's do a label night!"
"Okay! Sound great!"
"Wait a minute... we didn't make money from the last releases. How are we gonna pay the venue, the artists, the sabam people, the sound system,..."
"euhm..."

Don't always look at Minus, because these guys made their succes back in the days when it was still possible to sell a lot of records (and I'm pretty sure most of them see their record sales more as promotion for their well-paid dj gigs then as an actually source of living).
Again, small beginning companies don't have the money to do big promotion events or hire someone to play booking agent.

Anyway, enough nagging, next vinyl is coming soon so I haven't given up yet :)