how to make high pitched clicky sounds?

- ask away
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

how to make high pitched clicky sounds?

Post by intellijel »

I have heard lot's of tracks over the past few years that make use of really high pitched clicks and pops as both rhythmical elements and as a way to psychoacoustically make the stereo image seem really wide (by panning them etc.)

My friend suggested I make a 12.5K tone in Sound Forge and then cut up and sequence. I have tried this but have not been able to get the result I wanted. Also been messing around with it in Ableton Sampler and modulating parameters such as pitch envelopes and loop lengths.

ANy other suggestions? I know there are some patches for Reaktor that probably do this.

I am sure there is a simpler way using basic synth/sampler techniques.

tips welcome!
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

use your mouth

seriously....then throw that sh!t into recycle to cut it up all nicely for you
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

1. some noise generator reaktor ensemble will do some noise, record its output and cut, paste and sequence
2. freeware plugin glitch will do lots of high pitched noises if correctly set, you can then cut out the clicks you want and sequence them

i usually load up some clicky sounds in impulse or in the mpc and start messing rhythmically until i find a sequence I like, then I record.

Grain delay is your friend as well, along w/vinyl crackling and redux, if you are on ableton live.

happy clicking
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

open up soundforge and use the simple synthesis tool to generate waveforms. typical wave is rather small, that's why it sounds like a click.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

mlexicon wrote:use your mouth
Or your girlfriend's... close miked, having a...er.. strawberry creamscicle... then have her chewing on the wooden stick for some nice crackles...
seriously....then throw that sht into recycle to cut it up all nicely for you
God bless ReCycle!!!

Then compress the crap out of those sounds so you don't just get peaky transients.

For super wide stereo-imaging them, I'm tempted to suggest NuGen's Stereoizer... only tempted 'cause it EATS cpu... can't have too many running at once (a new version came out, maybe it's not as bad now). But great to "stereoize" mono sources... I hear the Izotope spectron does it right too.

I could suggest the Waldorf attack as well as it does hi-res glitchy sounds pretty effectively... it has a delay unit for every voice too. If you want to try that, you'll have to get the latest version so that the multi-outputs work correctly (in Nuendo anyway).

Oh.... If you're going glitchy... check this freeware out... the one called superrubbish. I discovered it yesterday and I love it.

Download: http://www.kvraudio.com/developer_chall ... ubbish.rar
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

you can get those sounds naturally from a synth. fast attack short decay. verly litte sustain long release. midi notes can be put on any arpegio in the upper octaves. c-3 and up...put a filter on it with hp on prolly 12 or 18. set your resonance way up and adjust the cutoff from there. tweek the osc./synth enginee so that you have a mid tone or higher...noise works well for this. add some delay etc... have fun...
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

weird gates on crazy sequences works too.