Best magazine/media in english?

- open
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Aleksi wrote:cool! some of the articles actually was in english too!
Yep, and the people got really good tastes too :-)
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

dncn wrote:i rarely read the wire but its always amusing when i do. you get like 3 page articles which are beautifully poetic but leave you none the wiser about the actual record they are reviewing.
??

If by "none the wiser about the record they are reviewing" you mean the Wire isn't like every other bullshit music publication out there then you are on the money. The magazine is inspired and broad minded, two things most music publications are not.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

smith wrote:
dncn wrote:i rarely read the wire but its always amusing when i do. you get like 3 page articles which are beautifully poetic but leave you none the wiser about the actual record they are reviewing.
??

If by "none the wiser about the record they are reviewing" you mean the Wire isn't like every other bullshit music publication out there then you are on the money. The magazine is inspired and broad minded, two things most music publications are not.
I've not read the wire specifically, but:

The scene is plagued with terrible reviewers and writers. A review shouldn't comprise of an emotive abstract that describes the strange and subjective listening experience the reviewer had, complete with descriptions of imagined wild life, frollicking in some dreamed up meadow, etc, etc.

Creative writing has a place in all of this, namely keeping the reader interested and amused.. but reviews are function first. If I wanted to read strange bittersweet tales inspired by a person's listening to a new album, i'd browse myspace for a couple hours.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

adam wrote: The scene is plagued with terrible reviewers and writers. A review shouldn't comprise of an emotive abstract that describes the strange and subjective listening experience the reviewer had, complete with descriptions of imagined wild life, frollicking in some dreamed up meadow, etc, etc.
I agree. Check out the Wire though, it is really a few levels beyond most of the music writing we all consume on a regular basis. Few other publications can talk about free jazz and minimal techno on the same page.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

smith wrote:I agree. Check out the Wire though, it is really a few levels beyond most of the music writing we all consume on a regular basis. Few other publications can talk about free jazz and minimal techno on the same page.
Agree, check it out.

Most of the reviews you'll get to read will tell you that the record is the best of the year which leads one to think that they might be as well write "Buy it now!" to make it easier.

The Wire puts the records into perspective, and since they cover the whole musical leftfield, they might even talk about free jazz and minimal techno on the same article :-)
dave_essex
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dave_essex »

mixmag? perhaps??
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

I pray monthly that one day Groove Magazine will be available in limited-edition English print. That of course will never happen :(
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

theres 2 different grooves magazine

one in german thats still going strong i think

and the english one which is in hiatus

i dont think they are related in anyway other than name