isnt it totally whack?

- open
jay haze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jay haze »

Leon Neon wrote:Jay, you are entitled to your opinion. If I disagree with you, I won't tell you to "grow up". To me, growing up is the last thing I ever want to do. I don't think you know me well enough to tell me how I would feel if my favorite band pressed play or whatever. I don't have a favorite band, btw, I don't listen to that type of music.
I understand the point you make about live shows, I happen to agree that it isn't fair. If you got into music for attention and money, then I guess you better learn how to do fake live P.A.s. If you got into music because you love it(like I think you must), then you seem to be living life the way that would make you happy-making and playing music. Madonna gets more love and respect and money than you too, so what? We can't make this problem go away, I've been asked by a few promoters to put on a live P.A. and when I told them I didn't know how to, they just stared at me and told me to fake it. When people throwing parties and running clubs are asking people to fake live shows, you know it's gone pretty far. In my earlier post my intention was not to act like there shouldn't be a distinction, but that people shouldn't act like there is a 'right' way to do a live show. Being a musician that doesn't do live shows, I've gotta say that in electronic music culture, you are looked down upon if you don't do live shows or dj. Producers are expected to deliver live performances, but only the rare producer is any good at them. Therefore, to further their careers in music, most producers turn to fake live shows etc. This is their fault for not having integrity and respect for their audience, but also the fault of our electronic music community that applauds anything and everything regardless of merit.
to leon neon-
i did not tell you to grow up because of your opinion, i told you to grow up because of your immature and ignorant comments. i respect your opinion totally. i wish you wrote your second post the first time as it says alot more and is more relevant to the subject, and spoken in a mature way.
thanks to everyone for taking part in this thread... i hope the talk continues, that is of course the first step towards change.

to leon, i dont care what madonna does or how much money she makes- but you know she does perform right?

a live performance is a hard thing to define- and there are many different aspects to a live show. what i will say- there should be more chance taken--meaning more chance of error than a computer crashing.....
lots of patterns are already worked out on your sequencer if you use a hardware one, but you must know when to bring it in, and how to tweak it and take it out. if you are playing tracks, this is things you already worked out in the studio-therfore it is not live. most bands performing live, already know the songs they are gonna play and write them in their enviroment- the difference is they are up there doing it and there is lots more chance to mess up and add some human touch to it.
jay haze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jay haze »

Grust wrote:Jay Haze:

What's the difference between pressing a key on your keyboard to trigger a sequence, and someone pressing a triangle in Ableton on their laptop to trigger a scene? As long as there is some improvisation using a MIDI controller to tweak effects and filters, are they not doing something similar to what the hardware guys are doing?

Adam.
yes of course there is an element of live to that, but honestly this is not the kind of people we are talking about. we are talking about someone who plays songs in the arrangement-
albizmo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by albizmo »

Last edited by albizmo on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Ha! I think if you ask Mr. Henke he would say that ableton allows people to do what they want. I could give a a sh!t about a rockstar, I want the music, and you can tell when someone has experience and knowledge about what they do. You can talk to someone, or watch them and know they practice what they do. You should listen to what people are doing, and not how they do it. It's all about the music. The problem is that "parties" are nothing but little kids on drugs at this point who have no experience with anything different.
Cotumo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

I like it when liveacts make a decent combination of hard- and software. It works!

Skinnerbox

Dreher&Sm.Art

But I like also pure Abloton liveacts when they use a lot of different tracks in their songs and combine them live with a digital controller.

A simple mix of the arranged tracks is really a bit boring.
Leon Neon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leon Neon »

Check out ESP Woody Mcbride if you like to see a lot of hardware, and of course a really good live P.A. :)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

pizzamon wrote:Ha! I think if you ask Mr. Henke he would say that ableton allows people to do what they want. I could give a a sht about a rockstar, I want the music, and you can tell when someone has experience and knowledge about what they do. You can talk to someone, or watch them and know they practice what they do. You should listen to what people are doing, and not how they do it. It's all about the music. The problem is that "parties" are nothing but little kids on drugs at this point who have no experience with anything different.
where do you live, cuz thats not exactly how the parties that I know run.
freeeeeee
Cotumo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

Der geile Ami wrote:
pizzamon wrote:Ha! I think if you ask Mr. Henke he would say that ableton allows people to do what they want. I could give a a sht about a rockstar, I want the music, and you can tell when someone has experience and knowledge about what they do. You can talk to someone, or watch them and know they practice what they do. You should listen to what people are doing, and not how they do it. It's all about the music. The problem is that "parties" are nothing but little kids on drugs at this point who have no experience with anything different.
where do you live, cuz thats not exactly how the parties that I know run.
100%ACK!