Start-up producer set

- ask away
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Leon Neon wrote:I really think buying monitors is too personal for any suggestions to be taken very seriously-go listen to a bunch before you buy anything. As for MIDI controllers, well, I think that's kinda personal too. Good suggestions so far, but I must say that I think at least one piece of hardware would be nice to even things out. Your budget depends greatly on whether or not you already have a computer with a fast dual processor, 1 GB RAM, fast front-side bus, 2 very large HDs, and an audio card worthy of 24bit 96Khz sound. If you have a computer that isn't up to those standards, I suggest you put your money towards that first. If you've got that covered already, I suggest a machinedrum after ableton etc.
I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand that I have no knowledge on these things whatsoever. Any sales guy from a shop can tell me this or that is best and i will believe him. Thats why I want to know from you guys what you can advice me on as you know more or less what is good..

My pc is not that fast but i will be working on upgrading it gradually.
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

I think that's a lot of money to spend if you're just starting out, but anyways, my rec.:

Sequencer: FL Studio
Sampler: Shortcircuit

Mode from Cycling74 is a very underrated synth/fx package, consisting of three synths and two different delay plugins, one with it's own step sequencer, the other more like a looping machine. These are tons of fun and capable of some really out there sounds.

About the interface. Have you decided if you want to stay in the box? No need to get a multi in/out card if you're not going to record several sound sources at the same time. Good brands are E-mu, Rme, Motu, Focusrite and M-Audio.

My advice is to get a few choice items and then learn those properly, instead of rushing out and buying lots of stuff at once.

Best
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

so this combination i could use instead of ableton?
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

Celltek wrote:so this combination i could use instead of ableton?
Well, yes.

Remember, there is no software that is 'best' or more suited for certain musical styles than other types of software, only what suits you. I would say, that of all the things that have been mentioned, the sequencer is probably the most personal choice - after all, you will be spending quite some time in front of it! I suggest you try out different sequencers (they all come as demos with various restrictions), pick the one you like the best, and then stick with it. Your skills and ideas will always be more important than what you use, so in my opinion the comfort and ease-of-use aspect is the most important.

About the computer, you could do worse than buying one that is tailor made for music production, like something from Carillion
http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb/products.jsp
That means peace of mind and zero worries about what works or not. You're good to go right out of the box.

Best
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

Software: Ableton, Cubase, Sonar (Download demos to find out what suits you)

Audio interface: RME FireFace 400 or a Presonus Firebox(cheaper option)

Monitors: Wharfedale Diamond 8.1

Softsynths etc check http://www.kvraudio.com/ lots of free grat stuff.

Something like Korg Micro Kontrol for midi.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

in any case do not buy anything under stress!
take your time to test yourself so much as possible, expecially the monitors, don't listen too much to other ppl's recomendation but go to a serious shop with some CDs you know well and have a listen to at least three pair of monitors.
As for soundcard, I'd stay away from cheapos models, if you can afford it do yourself a favour and buy a pro soundcard.
I'd stay away from:
soundcards: focusrite, m-audio, behringer, emu
monitors: behringer, esi, samson

this is not meant to be the thruth, just my opinions.
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Thanx alot guys!! I do plan to go looking around testing and talking to people about what best suits me now. More importantly though, i wish to get stuff with some good staying power, meaning no compatibility issues in the future etc..

I have learned from DJing, and from my dad's music equipment that a you are almost always better off buying from a well established brand to get the best sound quality and to avoid possible future dissapointment.

At this point a good midi controller, monitors and sound/midi interfase (plus extra some extra mem) seems to be enough for me to start messing around.. I'll download some software/sequencers to get the feel of it and maybe in some months (i repeat maybe :D ) something that resembles music may find its way here on the forum for review..hehe

Ciao!
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

dont forget good headphones

sometimes....alot of times you cant be rockin your sh!t to the top at 3...4.....5.....6 in the morning