ll [2] Kontakt RTW mixed by Richie Hawtin ll

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

slacknoise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by slacknoise »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:Huge let down. As expected though. The only good tracks imo are the first Heartthrob track...and the Troy Pierce remix of Lemon8 is so-so but not all that different from the original (just more on the drugged out vibe).

Listening to this mix makes me long for days of Richie Hawtin "Plastikman" circa "mixmag live mix" where playing mindbending music didn't mean playing standard m-nus minimal sht.
is it possible to be more ungrateful and annoying?!?!? it's a FREE promo cd of unreleased trax... please give me a break!
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Thanks a lot for this.
Sounding good to me...

8)
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

slacknoise wrote:is it possible to be more ungrateful and annoying?!?!? it's a FREE promo cd of unreleased trax... please give me a break!
Ungrateful? While it may seem ungrateful I always appreciate free music, or at least the opportunity to experience new music. The reason for my negative tone lines solely with Richie moreso than the artists. The guy is a legend who seems even to hold himself to a very high standard of quality and perfection for his projects. He brought you, Magda, Marc, and the rest of the gang up the ranks and since then he's started his own downward decline. While it's beneficial to you guys, I feel the new m-nus crew is more capable of rocking a floor than Richie these days (when he doesn't ask you guys to play it down before he goes on). So yeah, maybe I am ungrateful with this CD...it depends how you look at it. It's just sad to see such strong influences in your life slowly lose their touch.

Looking for something positive from me? After listening to the CD two more times, I actually like some of your tracks best Troy! And to be honest, I'm usually not into your material as much as the others. I figured Marc Houle would steal the CD for me prior to listening but it wasn't his strongest suit. Your DC10 track, while not amazing for me, is a really good effort and the melodic hook is a good step towards a new sound. I also really like how you took Model8 and made it your own. I appreciate it when DJs make their own edits or take tracks and warp them so they're something special. We've all heard Model8 a million times, so if you can add your own twist to get more life out of it, all the power to you!
Flopi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Flopi »

Clearly selection of High quality.

3njoying min by min.·.

thx :D
Yggdrasil
*... ... ...*
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:(when he doesn't ask you guys to play it down before he goes on)
hahahahaha...this is by far the most insane bullshit i have ever heard out
of you. funny how quick you are to talk sh!t about rich and you have
no clue how supportive that guy is.

your opinion of his mixing is one thing...everyone has their favorites or
whatever...but saying sh!t like this(and changing your opinion on troys
track once he pops his head up) makes me think you are a complete
douchebag.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

jpls wrote:
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:(when he doesn't ask you guys to play it down before he goes on)
hahahahaha...this is by far the most insane bullshit i have ever heard out
of you. funny how quick you are to talk sht about rich and you have
no clue how supportive that guy is.

your opinion of his mixing is one thing...everyone has their favorites or
whatever...but saying sht like this(and changing your opinion on troys
track once he pops his head up) makes me think you are a complete
douchebag.
Trust me, what you quoted from me isn't far off. If you don't want to believe it or admit it in public it is perfectly fine and understandable. I really don't give a sh*t what people think of me on this forum. Would you rather me speak my mind or kiss m-nus ass like the rest? What exactly is it I said that makes you think I am a douche bag?

Was it the fact I dissed Richie's mixing and recent efforts?
Was it the fact that I said I didn't like your track (or the others on the mix for that matter)?
Where is the fine line between my comments being "opinion" and designating me as a "douche bag?"

I like how you assume my opinion changes when Troy replied to me. Before he ever popped in, I said I kinda dug his remix. When I did have his attention, I went in-depth with it a bit more. I do think it's cool that he made it his own. I personally wouldn't buy it or play it but I appreciate that he went the extra mile/kilometer with the effort. I told him his DC10 track was cool. I like it because the track has more of an indentity than his stuff usually does. It's still not a huge track for me personally, but probably the best on the CD. I don't need to sugar-coat anything just because Troy is here. Troy can easily go back through my posts and read many times that I think he's usually a boring DJ or producer imo. If he appreciates my honesty, then that's awesome. If he doesn't, well...then fck him.

So, I guess if speaking my mind and being honest or truthful with people makes me a douche bag, then I guess I'm probably the biggest "douche bag" you'll never meet.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Oh...and for the record, I am fully aware of how supportive Richie is. Every time I've had the opportunity to speak with him or give him records, he's always stopped/dropped everything to spend a moment and chat with me. While other DJs would probably just say, "Gee, thanks..." toss the records in their bag, and go back to partying, Richie would take the time to ask about the music and even wish me luck with it. Even if he didn't mean it, it's still more than most DJs offer. Just because he's a great supporter doesn't mean he has no downfalls.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Seems to me people read way too much into things. Maybe it comes with the territory but what's with the weird over psycho-analisys of every thing rich does all the time? He's done a lot of great things and knows what he's doing and any time i've gone and see him play, i've never been disappointed. And from what i've heard hear, i don't see that there's anything to moan and groan about. Not to mention that it's being passed out for free. But that's besides the point.

People need to learn how to let loose and have fun and enjoy the beats/parties/whatever is going on. if you hear something you like, great, tell people about it/do whatever you do when you like something. If you hear something you don't like... then move on. Nobody gives two shits. Music is a form of entertainment. To some people, it's their life. But it's important to remember that it's not supposed to be something transcendent of itself or more than entertainment. I know for myself I take music very seriously, but the bottom line is that it is indeed music / entertainment. And the scene we are involved with is very cool - it's a lot of similar-minded people enjoying the presence of one another along with a musical convergence of new and old ideas with "party" as the backdrop. I'm an advocate of responsible criticism and challenging the things that people stake claims to. But I think it's a completely different ballgame when making sly and sarcastic commments in passing without making any real constructive statements about the subjects you're speaking about.

Bottom line though - is there even a purpose to criticizing a free promo mix? I don't think that there is. It reads like "Oh, well, you could have given us something better for free".. it really doesn't carry much weight and just comes across as bitter and ungreatful. I think troy said it right. A lot of people enjoy it.. if you don't like the sounds, then look for something you do enjoy instead of wasting breath. Forums are dumb... it's full of people that think they need to be heard, that their opinion matters.. but the truth is that at the end of the day... all you've done is gratified your need to be heard and the things you post don't echo much further than that.

Anyway, to the rest of you - hope you're enjoying and see you at future parties... you guys are great and the reason I play...