solving irq sharing

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

solving irq sharing

Post by plaster »

has anyone tried to work with this? i remember a friend who has a studio told me his irq's have only one hardware per channel. meaning, nothing more than one piece is on a irq channel. i'm not too familliar with all that stuff, but perhaps it could boost pc performance.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

hi, as long as i know irq's are valid for ports on ISA slots (not 100% sure)...
if your system is already working fine i don't think you can improve the performance by changing your irq settings.
which devices are you using?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i don't have any problems really, but i was thinking about why do some channels share a few devices. wouldn't the performance boost if you applied each device onto a separate channel?
echelon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by echelon »

As I understand it, IRQ sharing only really became a problem around the time of Windows 2000, where motherboards first implemented ACPI, which slung everything onto the one IRQ to let the OS sort out interrupt requests. Modern boards use a newer, more optimal version of this system called APIC, which seems to have solved most of the problems for audio work.

Examples of IRQ conflict problems would be pops and glitches in your audio app when your hard drives are working hard, there is a lot of network activity or you are moving windows around. If you're not seeing this (and I doubt you are at all unless you are running an older machine) then don't worry about it!

Hope this helps.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

echelon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by echelon »

That's not going to work unless he installed his os with ACPI/APIC disabled.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i tried once to disable apic and install windows as standard pc. it didn't work quite well but some studios know to use that feature. i dunno why axtually.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

don't fix stuff thats working fine.
I've burnt my fingers...

about IRQ-s I kinda remember it was important not to have your video card sharing IRQ with audio card...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...