Cubase SX vs Ableton Live

- ask away
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

4am wrote:i love ableton live because i can develop an idea and hear the result in minutes. but for real production the sound engine is crap... :cry: i'm waiting to hear the promised improvements of the sound engine in live6.
for my personal experience the price for the best sound engine goes to logic
I used logic 5.5 (last vers on pc) for a long time and then switched to live. And few days ago fiddled about with cubase and I was like :shock:
damn it sounds A LOT better than live and vaguely different than logic. Though there are things that get on my nervers - especially with midi editing but I think thats cuz I'm not quite home with it yet.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

if you buy it now you get 6.0 upgrad for free...you can get it from guitar center for 250-300 bones...if sound quality is a big issue just finalize in cubase (record through). Nice program...works great for re edits I think...
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Measax wrote:...if sound quality is a big issue just finalize in cubase (record through).
u mean like with rewire or how
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

yeah, I'm not sure how it works with live and cubase but I have friends who do that with reason. I know ableton rewires through logic and from there you can finalize the audio there but the exact details of this I'm still a little foggy on (i'm still exploring this myself). But sound quaility wise this could be a big help.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I personally think that ableton is great at what it does (I.E. being a loop player). I think it makes kind of a crappy production mutitracker though.

1. Because it doesn't handle midi outside of the program very well with alot of outboard gear.
2. It sounds dirt wehn you're mixing down more than 8 tracks.
3. It eats up CPU
4. I just plain don't like working with the midi inside of it

However i think it's probably the best loop playing device ever invented by far.
I usally use it to get ideas out really fast and then bounce all the audio out into Sonar to arrange and mix down the track. If i'm making a track in sonar that i need to use a loop for i usually rewire ableton to work inside of sonar and when i'm happy with the loop i bounce it into Sonar to use it in the track. I really don't expect Ableton to be truely off the hook for serious production till probably version 8 or 9 at the rate they're going.
edin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by edin »

Robot Criminal wrote:
Measax wrote:...if sound quality is a big issue just finalize in cubase (record through).
u mean like with rewire or how
if u do rewire,.. you just replace ableton mixer,.. with the master apllication(e.g.protools,..cubase). this is done when you finish your song , all arangement,.. and than just route your channels,..out,... it is very simple in ableton to do that..
nihad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nihad »

with Live 6 you'll be able to export audio tracks seperately, then use another app for mixing/summing ..

Personally i like the sound of ableton more than cubase .. :) .. allthough protools seems to have the best sounding summing algorithm of all daws ..
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

nihad wrote:with Live 6 you'll be able to export audio tracks seperately, then use another app for mixing/summing ..

Personally i like the sound of ableton more than cubase .. :) .. allthough protools seems to have the best sounding summing algorithm of all daws ..

i disagree...a protools hd at $20,000 dollors may sound great but its all hardware that makes it sound good. fact is you are buying a $300-500 software program and $19,000 worth of hardware and chipsets. As far as software goes protools is good and I would say the best at timestretching etc. but when it comes to software I think the big daws are all in the same ball park and I wouldn't put protools at the top for sound...i have heard what comes out of the m-powered set up and depending on plugins it really doesn't sound any better than other programs...of course if you can get eh hd....yeah...that sounds nice