mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Permorphance:changing landscape of performace in electronics

Post by naw »

pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Couldn't disagree more. I give two hoots about the rock-star. I want to hear the music. If someone wants to interact with me, they can come say hello. I learned early on; when I bought into what techno guys were presenting and bought their records, only to meet them and find out they were completely incompetent, and only doing what they do because they can't hold a job. Most of these guys are looking for the easy way out of society. They figure that kids will buy anything if they advertise themselves as cool, and they are right most of the time. Ever seen someone like Akufen? sure you have, Most would shower him with admiration, but he plays a laptop set. I would rather hear Akufen play a laptop set because I get to know him more intimately through his music. I could care less about him trying to be a rock-star. I will go see a thrash band if I want to see a rock-star. Give me concept and music, thats what I want. While we are on the subject, a computer is an instrument as much as any other synth. EDIT: while watching the video after my cup of coffee I realize that it is presenting both sides of the argument.
Last edited by pizzamon on Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

I just saw who I am speaking with. I like what you do, never met you mr. NAW, but I am familiar with your work, which is exactly my point.
naw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by naw »

yeah the point of the doc was to show that there are many sides to this argument ....
I feel its as much the job of the audience member to participate in which ever manner they want to but to particitpate on some level actively as in
listening, swaying, dancing, heckeling, booing, cheering, clapping what ever it is that they want to do. my pointing being that a live performance is as much the job of the artist as it is the person comming to view it.
my role as the artist is to present what I do best and not embellish with tricks and gimmicks but rather present a live version of what I feel represents my music best. for ME embellishing my presentation with other things only detracts away from what I am doing which is music, playing MY instrument the laptop is one of many actions Im doing on stage... as an audience member its important to recall that youve come out for a music concert not a play or a movie or a multimedia event... unless that is what the artist advertised they are doing ... but when I play I advertise music.. me and my laptop and a controller of choice to help me do my job better, if Im lucky I can convince the club owner t turn off the lights so you can really feel intimate with the music...
any how I think we agree on the subject, glad you like my music as that feedback is excatly the point I was tring to make with all this ... I touched you on some level.. :)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

damn I wish it will get finished
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
naw
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by naw »

Robot Criminal wrote:damn I wish it will get finished

I agree but the film maker gave up I keep emailing them and offering to help them finnish it but they just dont want to...