hardware only producers?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

alexis bowles wrote:Really nice thread, has IM going also Hardware for the last year or so Ive been having a lot of fun and dancing in my studio since I have those machines. And you know what I really like the fact that my Sh-101 is doing one thing only one thing, but a bad ass one!, same for my 909, 777, etc.. they all have there personality
you've got it mate !
theres just something intangible that you can't explain to someone whose only ever used software. i record my tunes live down to 2 tracks, and if i'm not dancing all over the place when i record them, then i know the people on the dancefloor wont be dancing either. whenever i've tried to make tunes in software alone, my focus is purely on the screen, and i become static.
the machines do have personality !
someone in this thread mentioned that he thought he couldnt get the same grooves easily from software as he could from drum machines. Roland drum machines are famous for that. if you record a 909 pattern into a sequencer, the notes are never in the same place twice, the quanitising is really loose. you could program slight randomness into a software drum pattern of course, but for some reason its different, its more natural sounding with analogue.
will i ever shut up !

http://www.mindtours.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/steevio
Luka
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Luka »

recently the 101 has been blowing me away. it seems that everytime i use it more sounds come out of it. combine it with dp/4 or distortion and it becomes ridiculous.

im about to build a ms-20 filter. im keen to hear it in action

being a student im lucky that i live with a friend with gear but in all honesty, as much as i love analogue gear and want to own it, i really cant see myself hunting it down and forking out mega $$$$. all these units are going to become more and more degraded over time and more and more expensive. i think ill just lock into some good controllers, some good filters, compression racks and pre-amps.

if my music takes off, i guess i will have the chance to slowely invest but it seems pointless to further subject my vinyl ravenged bank account as it is ;)
problemchild
melbourne australia

http://www.myspace.com/problemcreations
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

steevio:

which moogerfilter are you referring to?

all this chit chat got me itchin...
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

mlexicon wrote:steevio:

probably moogfoger?
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

theres 2 different kinds of moogoerfooger filter

the low pass

and the other
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

mlexicon wrote:theres 2 different kinds of moogoerfooger filter

the low pass

and the other
ah maybe there's another one aswell, I was refering to MF-101 however. =)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mlexicon wrote:steevio:

i'm using the moogerfooger lowpass,
it's the classic moog LP filter.
doesnt look like it can do much, but it sounds fantastic.
it will warm and fatten up any digital bass, and really texturises, crunches up or focuses the high stuff. i use it mostly on bass and percussion.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

:lol: You guys don't think that your favorite software-based producer isn't just running samples of hard gear? I hear a lot of sounds in popular minimal techno that could only come from a real Yamaha FM like the SY-77. What about all of the obvious DR-660 samples? It's my favorite drum machine. I'd recognize that flanger in anything. :wink: