hardware only producers?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:There is really almost no audible difference between the way alot of analog gear sounds and the way a computer does. The only real difference is that when an audio signal comes out of a piece of hardware it has an eq on it already. Computer sounds when they come out are straight raw.
sorry, can't agree. this is just a generalisation.
computer sounds have to be processed through electronics for you to hear them, just as they are with hardware.
its all down to the quality of the DSP / soundcard / amps etc.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

erutufon
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote:
Torque wrote:There is really almost no audible difference between the way alot of analog gear sounds and the way a computer does. The only real difference is that when an audio signal comes out of a piece of hardware it has an eq on it already. Computer sounds when they come out are straight raw.
computer sounds have to be processed through electronics for you to hear them, just as they are with hardware.
ok?
Let me put it this way. There is no way for you to record out of analog equipment without going through a wire. A computer can do it all internally. The soundcard believe it or not does not have any effect onn the audio signal if you record it internally. That's whay when you listen to sound card and monitor setups you don't look for things that sound good, you look for them to sound true, unless of course you are going to bounce the audio out to a DAT or a reel to reel.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
steevio wrote:
ok?
Let me put it this way. There is no way for you to record out of analog equipment without going through a wire. A computer can do it all internally. The soundcard believe it or not does not have any effect onn the audio signal if you record it internally. That's whay when you listen to sound card and monitor setups you don't look for things that sound good, you look for them to sound true, unless of course you are going to bounce the audio out to a DAT or a reel to reel.
i know what youre saying mate, but you have to get the sound out of there eventually if you want to hear it. if it stays as numbers you'll hear nowt, its going to go down wires at some point, until they invent direct digital injection interfaces for our brains.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:Even though using all the analog stuff sounds romantic, there really is no real advantage to it anymore. Back when techno started it was done with the cheapest possible equipment because most of the guys came from the ghetto and never really had any money to spend.
sorry to pull you up again mate, but you seem like an interesting guy to have a discussion with, so here i go.
i think its you thats being romantic when you talk about ghettos and stuff.
while we owe a big debt to the Detroit pioneers, with respect they arent the only people who have influenced what we now call 'minimal' or even 'techno' for that matter.
back in the eightees there were people all over the world experimenting with drum machines and synths, and there were many strands of electronic music being developed, and i doubt whether many of them came from ghettos.
the fact is that computers werent powerful or clever enough to emulate the machines of the time.
the original electronic dance music pioneers were using 909's 303's Moogs etc. because they sounded better than anything else available. true you could pick them up quite cheaply because they were being discarded in favour of the latest craze 'digital' .but those guys knew that the analogue stuff sounded far superior. how do you account for the fact that many of those people still use 909's etc today. it's because Roland got the design right first time round.
software designers spent the whole of the ninetees trying to catch up, with increasingly more accurate emulations of the real thing.

now that computers can handle it we have much more interesting concepts being tried out by software designers, but many of them go back to the same basic principals of electronic sound design layed down by the likes of Bob Moog, or the early sampler designers.
this is because the basic principals of music and creating it with electronics are universal.
the thing that computers have added is complexity. but hardware nowadays can be equally as complex. most hardware nowadays is software driven, and can be upgraded.
in the end the only real difference between hardware synths and their software counterparts, is the box they come in, and the quality of the components.
i for one prefer a purpose built machine, with an interface designed for the job which will last forever, than overtasking a cheaply built computer with a fisher-price knob box attached, spending most of my time flicking through windows, scrolling and assigning, instead of making music. but thats me. i know everyone is different, and there are some things that can be achieved more easily with software, but most of these things are effects, and i get so much pleasure from designing my own effects by by building complex routings in my hardware setup, that i dont see the advantage.
if you count the cost of a top of the range computer, a quality controller surface, the (overblown) price of all the software you'd need to have a decent set-up, then secondhand hardware doesnt seem so expensive.

as far as the old analogue V digital sound argument goes, i really can hear the difference. just plug a TR909 or 808 kick and any software emulation (or even a direct sample) of same into a club sound system and listen, then you'll believe !! or go into a music shop and compare the sound of moog filters to some software counterpart. theres no contest.
just ask your fellow Detroitians.
kevin h
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kevin h »

i just bought an sh-101 and it was the best purchase i've ever made...gear wise. $408 USD

without analog, life is full of little on-screen knobs, mapped out to latency riddled, low-res controllers. and thats no way to live :)

you can get fast and great results, by noodling around on an analog synth, chopping up what you recorded and slapping it in ableton.
bawww..........beep-beep
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

kevin h wrote: without analog, life is full of little on-screen knobs, mapped out to latency riddled, low-res controllers. and thats no way to live :)

i've just started investing/building an all hardware set-up. i have a 909 and 303 clone. Soon to be working on a 808 clone.

however i disagree on some of what you said. the real big difference between the real thing and soft synths is a physical set of knobs and things to tweak real time. the primary input for a computer is a mouse. try clicking & tuning every knob at once with that, i know we all have. dosen't work. midi controllers are key. its a whole different story when you have 30 some knobs in front of you to tweak. makes it more... how you say.. ah. analog.
Last edited by robert lowell on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

robert lowell wrote:
kevin h wrote: without analog, life is full of little on-screen knobs, mapped out to latency riddled, low-res controllers. and thats no way to live :)

i've just started investing/building an all hardware set-up. i have a 909 and 303 clone. Soon to be working on a 808 clone.

however i disagree on some of what you said. the real difference between the real thing and soft synths is ultimately a physical set of knobs and things to tweak real time. the primary input for a computer is a mouse. try clicking & tuning every knob at once with that, i know we all have. dosen't work. midi controllers are key. its a whole different story when you have 30 some knobs in front of you to tweak. makes it more... how you say.. ah. analog.

You don't think there is a difference in sound?