[WagonRepair16] Mathew Jonson - Automatic / Beach Party

- wax
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

slipmath wrote:Although the 2nd track is nothing special or new, the first track rules and those who dont like it will realise how wrong they were when they hear it on a proper soundsystem at the right moment. A whole new element of funk that was lacking from most of the other recent releases. Take some time from mediocre dime a dozen cookie cutter computer geek music to appreciate something with some real soul that will surely stand the test of time and blow the roof off many parties to come.
I think you're vastly over estimating... it's pretty sloppy production/track writing from where I sit. It's not something you can listen to attentively, follow along and enjoy and it's sure as sh!t nothing that's fun to dance to. But go banannas if you're into it. Just don't expect it to be as popular as you claim it will be/be upset when it isn't ;)

Matthew is hit or miss, and it's mostly miss - if he'd release less and focus more on writing really awesome material, he'd be gold. he has a couple cuts out that really rock, but these ain't any of them.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

Mathew Jonson is a really talented producer. Even though this EP isn't really for me, it's still better produced than 95% of the minimal records that have come out this year. I find it funny that the minimal kids get all bent out of shape when MJ goes off on some weird tangent musically. He is a musician in the truest essence and not some stoner screwing around on Ableton. He actually understands chord progressions, keys, and so much more that most "producers" in this scene have no clue about.

I'm just taking a guess here but I'm willing to wager anything that I'm pretty close to correct in saying that he's not worried about putting out hit and after hit. He's interested in putting out the music he enjoys and hopes some people will follow with it. I can tell from the label's progression so far that I see it as sort of a "mini Warp" or other labels where once in a while it will be a dancefloor bomb and once in a while it will be a release that is mediocre but really special to somebody. These lesser known releases give MJ and friends the opportunity to release material that dance labels wouldn't normally pick up on.

Just because tracks like this or hrddivision aren't dancefloor bombs doesn't mean they're a bad release for the label...just targeting a different audience.
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Totally agree.
The first track especially is very interesting musically, and since MJ is a jazz and funk head this track makes a lot fo sense - it's just not a minimal 4/4 boring snore a thon like 90% of releses around the minmal scene.

MJ has a wide musical love, so hopefully we WILL see him making more adventerous moves, that's where innovation comes from, and as we all know, if you don't take chances then nothing changes.
r.i.

let the music talk
thew
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by thew »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:Mathew Jonson is a really talented producer. Even though this EP isn't really for me, it's still better produced than 95% of the minimal records that have come out this year. I find it funny that the minimal kids get all bent out of shape when MJ goes off on some weird tangent musically. He is a musician in the truest essence and not some stoner screwing around on Ableton. He actually understands chord progressions, keys, and so much more that most "producers" in this scene have no clue about.

I'm just taking a guess here but I'm willing to wager anything that I'm pretty close to correct in saying that he's not worried about putting out hit and after hit. He's interested in putting out the music he enjoys and hopes some people will follow with it. I can tell from the label's progression so far that I see it as sort of a "mini Warp" or other labels where once in a while it will be a dancefloor bomb and once in a while it will be a release that is mediocre but really special to somebody. These lesser known releases give MJ and friends the opportunity to release material that dance labels wouldn't normally pick up on.

Just because tracks like this or hrddivision aren't dancefloor bombs doesn't mean they're a bad release for the label...just targeting a different audience.
Here here
'My sound is the sound of two sounds making warmth'
lil' jerk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lil' jerk »

damn, i just spilled pudding on my chest
lil' jerk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lil' jerk »

i'm going to have to clean it up, otherwise it could stain and of course be kind of gross (edit:) just sitting there and all... :\
svenlito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by svenlito »

omg

the tracks r fu**in awesome.
slipmath
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by slipmath »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote: I think you're vastly over estimating... it's pretty sloppy production/track writing from where I sit. It's not something you can listen to attentively, follow along and enjoy and it's sure as sht nothing that's fun to dance to. But go banannas if you're into it. Just don't expect it to be as popular as you claim it will be/be upset when it isn't ;)

Matthew is hit or miss, and it's mostly miss - if he'd release less and focus more on writing really awesome material, he'd be gold. he has a couple cuts out that really rock, but these ain't any of them.
Exactly - from where you sit. Where are you sitting? Behind a computer? You havent even heard the entire tracks (all you've heard is a 20 second shitty real player clip) yet you can sit there and type messages like you are fully familiar with this record and claim it wont work on a dancefloor and that it isnt something one could listen to attentively. Have you even listened to the whole record? Have you heard it on a dancefloor? I'm glad that you've figured it all out though - somebody should make sure to pass on your wise words and let Mathew know he should focus more on writing really awesome material like you've suggested. Then maybe he'll start getting bookings and selling records right? haha. I think the only person who needs to focus on anything is you focussing on saying something intelligently. And no - I'm not vastly overestimating, I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of somebody who has worked in the business of selling records for years and has also actually heard the record in discussion. Sloppy you say....?hahahaha. Regardless if you like or dislike his music - i don't think you are in a position to say that his production is "sloppy".