Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

That is the most ridiculous thing i've heard. You talk about DJs like they are sports idols or something.... even the choice of words, "not playing well lately". even if I did agree with you, it's pretty silly to even mention such things. Not to mention the very idea that you're saying a DJ should party less? Last time I checked, that's what DJs are for.... party'n. It's the ones that take everything too seriously and don't know how to get down that poison the scene. Everyone just needs to learn to have more fun..

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

I think there is a line to be crossed when someone goes from being so influential about something and eventually pisses on it by making himself a mockery of it.
okzbow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by okzbow »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:That is the most ridiculous thing i've heard. You talk about DJs like they are sports idols or something.... even the choice of words, "not playing well lately". even if I did agree with you, it's pretty silly to even mention such things. Not to mention the very idea that you're saying a DJ should party less? Last time I checked, that's what DJs are for.... party'n. It's the ones that take everything too seriously and don't know how to get down that poison the scene. Everyone just needs to learn to have more fun..
Dj's are here to please the crowd, make a party of it... thats what we pay for, arent we? If I want to see clowns I go to the circus.... or to bar25 ;-)

So fun is one thing... but lets not argue about this, everyone should do what he thinks is best. Only I have seen dj's do the same things, and they are not really on top of the game anymore (and that is quite an understatement) ...
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Everyone has their good nights and their bad ones. Rich is just under the microscope all the time. I remember going to see him in the late 90's even in early 2k and he would play a lot of bangin tech-house-- nothing even remotely "minimal" sounding in his sets.
While other dj's were playing Perlon type stuff back then it wasn't as popular or palatable and cool as it is now cause it was very forward thinking at the time, not that Rich didn't play them too but back then it seemed rare if he did at least from what i know going to shows. Lot of those Swedish hard tech sounding records like Henrik B. , Beyer etc also he had jus released that nitzer ebb track... Jus a sign of the times I imagine.
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

You gotta remember a few things here folks:

Firstly - Richie has been one of the longest pushers of minimal stuff ever since he started playing. He used to always drop it down into deep minimal territory if the party allowed, and while he was playing hard minimal (as it was termed in teh '90s) he was always a big fan of maurizio etc. Just look over his mix cds, they all have a minimal component. He chose the harder end of minimal as a way of expressing himself as a dj, ie. he could mix 3 records and create something unique. There were simply not enough good dancefloor minimal releases in the 90s to play a primetime set of that stuff.

And as someone mentioned, it was cool and quirky, but even to people who loved teh stuff, there was something lacking in terms of dancefloor dynamics that everyone seems to have worked out in the last few years - that allows the minimal records to be played by anyone, and not mixed with other things like Hawtin etc had to do to keep the general public grooving along (ie. playing maurizio at a big fesitval, that's hard to do for long).

And another thing we all forget is that most of the minimal djs and producers were plaing minimal after Hawtin was pushing it, sure it wasn't his most recognised sound, but ever since the early 90s Hawtin has pushed minimalism. So if we talking about Hawting jumping on bandwagons, maybe we all need to learn our histroy ;)

Hawtin has shown that he can do the damage, and yeah, we can all tell that he's suffering from too much hard parties at the moment, so maybe when he sits down to do his next album or something he can start drinking carrot juice and exercising properly and sleeping properly and will come right again so his hitrate goes back up - cos he can still rock it..

Also again, we are putting him under the spotlight, and I can probably say that while his game is a tad under par, it's HIS par, so he's still pretty good compared to most. There'll always be people nipping at his heels, and that's cool, many who to you are way better, and some of them will get big, but I'll bet none of them will get as big as Hawtin simply because of his long term efforts and his ability to keep shifting forward, many other artsts have not had such foresight. Hawtin has got to where he is today by having the majority of the crowd love him, including a portion fo the geeks/trainspotter/djs/producers, but of course, we here are all extreme cases, we will be overly analytical if anything, and we could all name 5 other djs who play better to US than Hawtin, yet I'd say over 90% of us here will still put Hawtin in out top 10 djs, which is pretty damn good going!

He's just a guy. He has his failings. I guess it's odd to see people bashign someone like him, because he truely IS an ambassador for this sound, and without him, there's be half as many labels around, half the touring djs would be out of work, and half the clubs that support minimal will be playing cheesy house because Hawtin's put in the hard touring and networking yards that has allowed the media and public know about this type of music.
r.i.

let the music talk
TroySilver
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TroySilver »

Damn, ri's post is really worth reading. Good summation.
Mirza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mirza »

10/10 for this toppic :lol:
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

ri wrote:There were simply not enough good dancefloor minimal releases in the 90s to play a primetime set of that stuff.
Totally disagree with you on this point.

Remember, since you're quoting the M series, that they nearly stopped in the 90 (last one was released in 1997). Remember Basic Channel. Remember 7th City. Remember the Studio 1 series and Kompakt. Remember Sahko. Remember Ifach, EMD, Pal sl, Audio.nl and so on. Remember Kompakt too.

And for the DJs, just remember Daniel Bell, and I'm not even talking about Robert Hood who is absolutly overlooked on this board IMHO.

It's just that minimal wasn't that mainstream right there.