min2MAX - new MINUS COMPILATION (m_nus)

- wax
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

for me it's really simple
i just dig in my record collection and take out records from 6-7 years ago that are similar but are way better...
Minus is just riding the hype right now, without the hype it would be just another minimal label, but there will always be enough people to buy hook, line and sinker...
but if Minus wants to stand its ground in the future, they'll have to come up with something more exciting ... but oh well, it's just my opinion of course
df
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by df »

baby kate en that wink track (forgot about the name) are GREAT... the rest is good too, but it's more standard material imho.
OZZY
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by OZZY »

Dont understand why this label should get thousands more views on mnml.nl then any other, when infact it is one of the least exciting minimal labels around.
The artists and tunes are all very mediocre, the hype cant last forever.
If you think this stuff is good, you're not looking very far. IMO
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

I think the fact that a lot of people are already sick of the comp is that they've been listening to the tracks for the past year or so religiously. No matter how cool something is, it will definitely lose its edge when you're used to it. It's a product of the slow record releasing cycle paired with the instant gratification of the internet.

I've stopped listening to most dj sets these days, and it's made listening to releases and seeing live performances a bit more exciting again.

I think min2max is a great comp--lots of unique tracks coming from a lot of different directions.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

brianc wrote:I've stopped listening to most dj sets these days, and it's made listening to releases and seeing live performances a bit more exciting again.
Good way to look at it.
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

I like this comp quite a bit. At first I was thinking I was slightly disappointed but it totally grew on me. All quality work from all quality artists.

there's two things that I think though - that people people expect every release to be INSANITY and set the bar too high in their heads no matter who or what it is. and the other thing - this is a compilation.. compilations are never really supposed to be the very best track each person ever did... the compilation is kind of a piece on it's own.. it all sorta fits together - appreciate the thing as a whole and enjoy them tracks you really dig. but maybe people are reading into it too much? and all the people talking about it being all 'hype' and things, everything in the world is 99% hype, but at the same time... it's kind of insulting to think that us fans are being accused of only liking the things we like cuz of hype...

in a nutshell; good comp and I think it should perk our ear to hear where some of them artist go next

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
bshosa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bshosa »

wink did so great, well it's unbelievable.
played it 2 weks ago and couldn't really believe the sound :D .
orchidee is crazy, and the extension cd as well.
u can complain about the minus world conquer mission ;) and the way of marketing. but it's a quality release for sure.
the selection and the concept is great, am a bit dissapointed with troy and magda, but probably they didn't give a fck while being so busy @ the time.
ri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ri »

Yeah folks, it's a comp. There's useually only a couple of tracks that you'll dig enough to want to spin as a DJ on almost every comp that you even bother with. Very rare that the entire thing is your bag.

As from a listening perspective, all the tracks are cool in their own way. And sure they're not all going to be the best from each artist, but it's a tight as package, and it's a great step up from vol 1.

As for riding the 'wave'... Well, minus does well when it does well, and doesn't do well when it doesn't step up to the plate, like all labels.

I think the new bay of figs and the new mathew j will do really well (like decompression and 25 bitches have sold well), which will sell several times over the normal minus figures.

So even tho there's hype, sounds like you guys are more taken in than anyone else! Remember that even tho there's magazine coverage now, it's still not really hitting too many people (ie. the trance, funky house etc kids)... They will still not be getting it in the main, so the hype is really hopefully just getting the people who are open minded enough (and probably, the people who have strayed from the path - remember how big these sounds were in the early 90s? Well, I got hundreds of mates who got turned off late 90s, who are now loving techno again, even if it's partly rebranded!).

And not everyone has time to sit around and check out every single minimal release or set - so comps like this and the Cocoon ones, and the Hawtin mixmag cd and all the rest are vital for the entire scene's health, it's those 80%+ of people who love the music, but aren't obsessed with it that make the difference.

The main thing is, that there will be enough people who are in love with a couple of the tracks, like the rest, maybe dislike one or two for the entire compilation to work well, hype or not.
r.i.

let the music talk