Starting new netlabel- advice?

- free art
bigskydj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Starting new netlabel- advice?

Post by bigskydj »

Does anyone have any advice/information for starting a new netlabel. I have: a domain name, hosting, tracks, etc...

In particular, I need information about copywriting, internet marketing, etc...Thanks in advance guys/girls!

Adam
rad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rad »

This book is gold:
"Websites für Musiker, DJs und Netlabels. Selbständiger Musikvertrieb im Internet"
by Moritz 'mo.' Sauer
available only in German though.

I've written a little article how to navigate in Netaudio:
http://www.netaudiolondon.cc/news/32/na ... h-netaudio
...read it back to front and you have a guide how to market yourself ;)
Adam Prince
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

also...

Post by Adam Prince »

hey, thanks for the info- it has proven to be quite helpful thus far...

i was also wondering about more legally oriented things such as contracts, non-profit vs. incorporated status (if necessary), licensing, etc. separate bank account? sorry, i feel as though this is a lot of stuff but it is quite hard to find any info concerning netlabels specifically.

thanks in advance!

adam (same man, different screen name)
rad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rad »

oh, gosh. ... that stuff. ;)

well, if you release within CC (creative commons) and offer free download, then a bank account will probably not be needed, neither you will need to incorporate yourself. If you plan to offer paid downloads downloads... good luck.

However, our label, After-Dinner.net is carried by a not-for-profit membership association, and we have a bank account, but this mainly because of our other activities such as Netaudio'06 and other events.

we work with our artists based on this guidlines:
http://after-dinner.net/releasesfiles/guidelines.pdf
this is not legally binding, but clarifies a few points.

http://creativecommons.org/
is porbably a good source for further info.

But I admit that I am not very entertained with these issues. I wan't to get music out to people with least legal and administrative crap as possible...
Cotumo
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Cotumo »

And find someone who masters your tracks, or learn it. A lot of Netlabels don't care about it and you can hear that in every second of the track.

Respect to all Netlabels who do care about it :)
KuRT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KuRT »

Cotumo wrote:And find someone who masters your tracks, or learn it. A lot of Netlabels don't care about it and you can hear that in every second of the track.

Respect to all Netlabels who do care about it :)
HI

Please check this
http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9809

I would really like to know your opinion about mastering. I don't have my ear so sensible, to hear that. I trust my artist ;) But I want to hear opinion from someone who is outside

Its our second release, first one was on 12" but it was other style - techno, virtual EP's will be more IDM, electronica and mnml ;)
Silence001 - Revival EP -> www.silence-agency.org/eng/releases.php
rad
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rad »

KuRT wrote: I would really like to know your opinion about mastering. I don't have my ear so sensible, to hear that. I trust my artist ;)

thats not really the point. mastering is a bout having an objective pair of ears. even if the artist is a great crafts man, it is good if some else weeds through it at the end. learn it or find someone whos doing it for you. :wink:
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

I can't help much in this dept as i don't know much about running netlabels.. but I just wanted to wish you luck with your project.. soooooo good luck 8)