fs2 or ssl?

- ask away
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

Marqx wrote:Final Scratch2 Scratchamp in combination with Traktor DJ Studio 3 in Final Scratch mode (and ideally a MIDI controller, Xone: 3D for example for the effetcs and loop functions) is the bomb.. wouldn't trade it for anything else!
Unless you're a Mac user. Traktor 3 works terribly for Macs, but there are some betas in the works that fix the problems.

Aside from that, I agree. FS2, Traktor, and a MIDI controller for loops and filters is a ridiculous amount of fun.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

alright, i've changed my mind. if you're going to buy either of these right now, go with SSL. stanton/ni need to get their acts together.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

brianc wrote:alright, i've changed my mind. if you're going to buy either of these right now, go with SSL. stanton/ni need to get their acts together.
what changed your mind?
RussC
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by RussC »

i use fs2 with traktor dj studio 2 on mac osx. and i havent had a problem yet.. latency isnt an issue for me at all.
although if their is a problem that goes wrong with it, im sure ill be pullling hair out waiting for response, i think last time i had a problem with my Reaktor i didnt even recieve anything more then an auto reply.
thankfully the user forum saved my ass.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

harass wrote:
brianc wrote:alright, i've changed my mind. if you're going to buy either of these right now, go with SSL. stanton/ni need to get their acts together.
what changed your mind?
I've gotten tired of the general attitude of Stanton/Native Instruments. Traktor 3's been out for like 8 months now, and it still doesn't work well on any kind of Mac. Apple announced they'd be switching to Intel a very long time ago now and even made a lot of help for converting apps available, but the beta for Traktor on Intel Macs isn't even going to be out for a few months. Their customer support is also terrible.

Rane and Serato seem to have their act together, at least a lot more than Stanton/NI. Although I like Traktor more than SSL's interface, I'd feel a lot more comfortable right now trusting my setup to SSL. Traktor/FS is a great combination, but I'm a little fed up with the uncertainty.
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

but your problem is only related to mac then? (if we only consider the technical part and not the support problem)
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

vermi wrote:but your problem is only related to mac then? (if we only consider the technical part and not the support problem)
Right, as far as I know, Final Scratch and the different versions of Traktor work very well in Windows.
alland
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alland »

is the only way to control the 4 decks in Traktor 3 with an external midi controller of some sort? what about like 2 FS records + one of those m-audio PC dj console things?

i'm getting my dual core 2x1.66ghz w+1GB ram new lappy tomorrow, and being a big fan of, and long time NI user, i really want to go with FS2. I do hear very often that SSL is much more stable, but on this new system i dont think i'll have a problem.

as far as rane vs. stanton... rane makes a good rotary mixer, stanton makes great needles. other than that i cant say either one has given me any reason to favor one or the other for software.

so..... back to controlling traktor 3: would FS2 + a PCDJ controller thing work for that? any suggestion from users as to what would be the best way to control all 4 decks + fx + mixer?

a.