learning to make synthesized drum hits appreciation...

- ask away
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

learning to make synthesized drum hits appreciation...

Post by provaznik »

i just started this today and so far i am getting results that i could only wish to get from samples. it is allowing me to have a lot of room to get creative and let me get exactly the sound i want instead of trying to get a sampled one shot to conform to what i am looking for.

i just thought i would spread the joy.

oh yeah and if you all have any pointers in this area then please feel free to drop some ideas.
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

What Synths do you use?

I <3 drumatic and waldorf for drumsynthesizing actions. But also even "simple" synths like Reasons subtractor are good for snares and highhatz.
--

provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

actually the demo of operator has been doing wonders for me. i have been able to get a lot of sounds out of it. kicks were easy, rim shot esque snares were kind of tough but i got em down to a point where i am happy with them for now, but in a week who knows. i am about to go off and experiment using a saw wave modulating a straight sine wave for some biting high hats. if that doesn't work then i will just keep experimenting until i find something i like. i will keep you posted on my advances in this new and fucking addictive side of production that i just started in on.
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

i took some desktop pics to show you the exact settings i have things on if that interests you.
oh wait i don't know how to get the pics off of my desktop to the net, any ideas? i am on a mac by the way...
kevin h
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kevin h »

i've mentioned it before, but i think this is a pretty sweet vsti dm

http://odosynths.panicnow.net/Rhythmsv3.6.zip

all synth, no samples
bawww..........beep-beep
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

FM syntesis is great to create drum sounds, and the ease of use of operators is unbeatable. maybe not *the* best sounding around but you can your job done so quickly... and then you can always treat the samples you did with some serious comp/eqs in an audio editor for example.
Doing it's own drum sounds is imho crucial to avoid sounding too standard, I like when hearing a track I don't spot the classic sounds, like the 909 kick 808 snare and so on.
I mean those are great drum machines (I have a 909 I thought I would sell but I changed my mind) but sometimes some new juice is more tasty
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

kujoma wrote:I <3 drumatic and waldorf for drumsynthesizing actions.
right on!
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

i found this on de bug's website.

http://www.teragon.org/products/KickMaker/index.html

looks pretty sweet, cheap too...