macbook vs macbook pro

- ask away
unminimaltruisme
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by unminimaltruisme »

Let's put it here so information will be centralised (?) :
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/7 wrote: Pro vs. not

Now that Apple has finalized their portable line up, the question on most prospective customer's lips is "what's the difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro?" The answer is nuanced, and I feel that Apple has done a good job delineating the market and pricing the models appropriately. First, lets go over what is in every MacBook Pro that you won't be getting on the MacBook:

* Aluminum shell
* Lighted keyboard
* Ambient light sensor
* Auto-dimming display
* ExpressCard Port
* PCIe graphics system
* Higher-resolution display
* Matte display option
* Larger hard drive

The 17-inch version of the MacBook Pro goes a step further and adds a third USB 2.0 port and a FireWire 800 port. The price difference between a similarly configured MacBook and MacBook Pro (2.0GHz, 512MB, 80GB HD) comes to about US$650. Personally, I feel that the upgraded graphics, display resolution, expansion port, and lighting features are probably worth US$650 to people who need them, but since I do not, I'm very content to stick with my MacBook.

That being said, the similarities in performance might lead some people to believe that shelling out some extra dough for what many might consider to be "fluff" features. All things being equal, I can see thrifty consumers eschewing the US$650 extra for a MacBook Pro and the US$150 extra for a black shell and simply going with the low-end MacBook and I couldn't blame them one bit. After all, the low-end MacBook is for the most part just as powerful as several models of the Pro edition that were released only a few months back.
md
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by md »

conventionally the difference between ibook and powerbook was that the powerbook was slightly faster, but more importantly can take on more RAM.

not sure about the latest incarnation of these books.

pro users are usually steered towards the powerbook/macbook pro

www.dobell.ca
www.meldmedia.com
Bobsyouruncle
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bobsyouruncle »

I have my 2,16 Ghz 1 Gig RAM Macbook Pro for a week now. And ik works like a charm for me :)
The reason i've chosen this one and not the Macbook was the bigger screen. The 13,3" was just not working for me.
Now i have updated my ableton and reason, and man, this thing is speedy!!
:twisted:
But I guess, if you dont need the videocard and you are comfortable with a smaller screen, the Macbook is a very good deal!