Beatport - The backlash!!

- open
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Beatport - The backlash!!

Post by hotpace »

So, I personally think they are way too expensive and refuse to buy from them now. Plus I don't like all the negativity I'm hearing on the 'Poser' thread in General Chat. And refusing Pheek on the grounds of his label not being 'famous' enough just fucking stinks! Do we all have to become Richies new best mate to get any interest then in this scene now!?

Sooo, top and bottom in my opinion is this:

Good points:
Good samples
Nice looking

Bad points:
Way, way too expensive.
People with dubious, money obsessed motives running it.
Not willing to give new artists a chance (regardless of quality of music)

Bad outweigh the good! Lets all boycott the fuckers! :P
Whats everyone else think?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

how much is expencive? $2?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

plaster wrote:how much is expencive? $2?
it means if you buy 10 tracks of a LP, it'll end up at 20$. At that price, I'd better go for a 12" version.

I don't want to be one of the reason why you guys start a war on Beatport but yeah, there's some things there that I don't like as well. Not sure if I'd boycott since there's good music, but the refusal of Archipel kinda made me edgy. :?
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

pheek wrote:
it means if you buy 10 tracks of a LP, it'll end up at 20$. At that price, I'd better go for a 12" version.

I don't want to be one of the reason why you guys start a war on Beatport but yeah, there's some things there that I don't like as well. Not sure if I'd boycott since there's good music, but the refusal of Archipel kinda made me edgy. :?

customer wise, i would rather buy mp3, but if i'm going to look from the artist side, vinyl ofcourse. i still think by selling an mp3 for $2 artist doesn't get that much. can you live off music then?
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

plaster wrote:
pheek wrote:
customer wise, i would rather buy mp3, but if i'm going to look from the artist side, vinyl ofcourse. i still think by selling an mp3 for $2 artist doesn't get that much. can you live off music then?
Yes damn right $2 PER TRACK is too much! A vinyl record is actually there in front of you and has been actually produced using materials. An mp3 is an invisible being. How can that be justified as being the same or, depending how many tracks off an ep/lp you download, possibly more expensive than a vinyl release?? If I was to download the new 3 track Alex Under release 'Multiplicanciones 2' from Beatport it would cost me $5.97, £3.51 or 4.91 euros. To download the new 3 track Stewart Walker release 'After this I'll never sleep' on Persona from Kompakts mp3 site, it would cost me $4.22, £2.48 or 3.48 euros. Why do Beatport need to milk so much more cash out of it than Kompakt do?? They are doing the same thing! Back to your question, can an artist live off music? I suppose it depends how much artists are willing to let these companies take. An artist on Beatport may get the same as an artist on Kompakts site, they may both get 50 cents for a track downloaded and the rest goes to the site, in which case I stand by what I feel which is Beatport is greedy compared to the likes of Kompakt. If artists get more on Beatport than on Kompakt then yes they must be able to live off music if people who release on through Kompakts site are!
hotpace
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hotpace »

An even better example this time of the SAME release available through both outlets.

Frivolous vs The Phantom Power [Karloff 019]

On Beatport it says its a 2 track release with those 2 tracks being
1] Expo 1986 [original mix]
2] Symbols and Silence [original mix]

Price = $4.98

On Kompakt its a THREE track release!
3] Un Monde Sans Fils

Price = $4.22

So we're talking roughly 76 cents difference with the currency conversions AND YOU GET AN EXTRA TRACK with Kompakt!!
Case closed!

By the way I am in no way affiliated with Kompakt! This is just basic fucking maths and a huge disliking of people getting ripped off!
ParanoidDancer
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by ParanoidDancer »

I wonder if someone here has actually sold tracks thru one of the sites so we can compare how much an artist or label actually gets from the tracks that are sold.
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

hotpace wrote:An even better example this time of the SAME release available through both outlets.

Frivolous vs The Phantom Power [Karloff 019]

On Beatport it says its a 2 track release with those 2 tracks being

Price = $4.98

On Kompakt its a THREE track release!
3] Un Monde Sans Fils

Price = $4.22

So we're talking roughly 76 cents difference with the currency conversions AND YOU GET AN EXTRA TRACK with Kompakt!!
Case closed!

By the way I am in no way affiliated with Kompakt! This is just basic fucking maths and a huge disliking of people getting ripped off!
i bought the frivolous ep on beatport and the 3rd track wasnt advertised and came free, im assuming because its just 2 min. of loud annoying static (anybodyh else get this?). i think beatport is completely overpriced though. some tracks ive seen are at 2.49. imagine how much min2max 3xLP will cost. for lack of any material costs why is it so expensive? when real record labels/distros can still produce viny and pay themselves and artists?