mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

Its a builtin Audioeffect in Ableton. It's called "utility"
Lostra
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Lostra »

Torque wrote:
crisp wrote:Ableton is fine for just abouth any type of music you want, the only thing that can limit you is your brain!
BULLSHIT!

There is stuff that ableton won't do yet. That program is ok for playing loops as a rewire app and live stuff which is what it was made for, but for real music production it's still just a toy. .
Good to hear a different opinion, but you don't tell us which application is the best for producing music. Give us clue.

Cheers

Lostra
stefan erhalder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stefan erhalder »

you can only record on 1 channel at a time (I mean come on...)
you can set multiple channels to record ready by ctrl+click on a windows machine, on mac probably apple+click. and of course you can record on multiple channels at a time. :wink:
sloooooooooooowwwwwww at rendering a file
some hosts let you choose what interpolation algorithm is used for rendering. eg in fl studio you have the choice between 5 interpolation algos which differ in complexity which results in different rendering speed and (hopefully) diffrent audio quality. keep this in mind - it might be that ableton uses a more complex rendering routine than some other host of choice.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Torque wrote: Complaints:

You can't just switch a sample to mono
SAD BUT TRUE
It sucks up cpu hardcore when using vsts
WITH A GOOD COMPUTER THAT'S NOT TRUE. I CAN HAVE 2 HEAVY REAKTOR INSTANCES AND A COUPLE OF OPERATORS W/O PROBS
It starts to sound dirty when doing a mixdown with more than 8 tracks
THIS IS TRUE THAT'S WHY I EXPORT TO CUBASE FOR FINAL MIX
NOT TRUE, AS LONG AS YOU PRESS CTRL YOU CAN ARM AS MANY TRACKS AS YOU WANT
really crappy midi clock for outboard gear
SAD BUT TRUE
no quick bounce feature
SAD BUT TRUE
When you freeze a track you can't manupulate the audio even though it has to be playing that track from an audio file (drives me nuts)
NOT BEING ABLE TO MANIPULATE FREEZED TRACK IS NORMAL
DEPENDS ON THE CPU
you can't audio out of a track directly into a bus
WITH A BIT OF FANTASY WITH CHANNEL ROUTING YOU CAN CREATE YOUR BUSSES

Props:

Great interface
best hands down at synching up beats from loops
good for live loop playing
the automation controls are spectacular

This program isn't ready for studio work yet. It's going to take a few more versions to do the trick.
YES LIVE IS NOT READY FOR SERIOUS STUDIO WORK YET BUT MAYBE THAT'S FINE.. THERE'S PLENTY OF OTHER PRO SEQUENCERS AND I HOPE LIVE WILL STAY SIMPLE AND WON'T GET TOO COMPLEX.
crisp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crisp »

My god!! Is this what has become of music production, more more, faster faster , spoiled spoiled spoiled, i dont wanna do no effort annymore bla bla bla!!!

I mean, some the most fantastic technoclassics consisted of nothing more then a casio cz1 a 909 and a crappy fourtrack recorder!! There was times that people had to litteraly cut tape with scissors in order to make loops. Jeezes christ man, do you realy think that all the complaints you named, if they were added would make you a better producer??? Forget it, it wont!!

Ableton is an excellent program, and i admid that it lacks some of the specs pro sequencers have, but still i does whatever you want it to do if you spend some time with it. In the past you had to spend thousands of dollars on outboard gear just to have a glimps of what ableton can do, so stop complaining if rendering takes 10 seconds or if you have to record two times on two channels wich will take you 2 minutes or something.

There is more then enough producers out there that proved allready that ableton is a great music production tool and used it in many creative ways.
"House is minimalist music, just exactly what the body needs to get it jackin" (Chip E, anno 1986)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

stefan erhalder wrote:
you can set multiple channels to record ready by ctrl+click on a windows machine, on mac probably apple+click. and of course you can record on multiple channels at a time. :wink:
some hosts let you choose what interpolation algorithm is used for rendering. eg in fl studio you have the choice between 5 interpolation algos which differ in complexity which results in different rendering speed and (hopefully) diffrent audio quality. keep this in mind - it might be that ableton uses a more complex rendering routine than some other host of choice.
wow
well i guess i learned something new for the day :)
i never tried the utility thingy either

That being said I still prefer Sonar 5
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

crisp, I see your points about the oldschool producers with just a 909 casio and tape recorder and the fact that no feature makes you a better producer but I didn't mean that - from being able to do music to *serious* studio job there is a big difference.
I was there when you had to spend a fortune to get some proper stuff to play with, at the times I was happy with a couple of TR, a 303 and a 101 trust me I know what you mean but the point here was more about, as said, serious studio work.
I don't know how many hosts you know and since when are you making music, from your avatar you look pretty much ableton fan-boy which is not bad per se but believe me -in some cases little details like fast bouncing, extensive routing options, automations possibilities really make the difference.
I'm using live since version 2.1, I know it inside out and is the tool I use for composing, jamming and perform live and I am very happy with it, but for some things it just doesn't do the job like I want it to be done.