Minimal

- open
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

clubfoot wrote:I find what we are calling "minimal" these days is often neither techno or house. That is, if you think of Techno as being typified by the Detroit sound etc and House music being a descendant of disco (excuse my generalism). I find a lot of the current "minimal" too slow to warrant the (traditional) Techno tag but perhaps also too abstract to fall into the House category. So, I guess "minimal" really finds itself in the middle ground between these two perhaps leaning more towards one or the other - often flirting with other styles such as progressive, dub, jazz, blues.
well put! i realize this when i try to organize my vinyl collection and i try to go with a "this is a little housier" and "this is a little techier" attempt and realize i get nowhere.
clubfoot wrote:And that's the beauty of "minimal" - pretty much anything goes. Perhaps "minimal" can be best described as electronica for dancing to.
this is one of the reason i started to like minimal more and more, i felt that other genres such as dnb or hard (swedish) techno began to limit themselves after a while. don't get me wrong there though I LOVE ADAM BEYER, CARI LEKEBUSCH, JOEL MULL etc. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH and I still buy their records. well i love adam and marco more than ever now since they are switching up to some more progressive sounds. a walking contradiction is such a wonderful middle ground!
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

i dont see minimal as a distinct genre..i see it is a sub genre of either techno or house. when people ask me what i play i tell them techno and house..cuz if i told them i play minimal, id be lying to them. alot of the records ive been picking up and hearing lately is not very minimal..with these complex drum arrangements..i mean id consider daft punks homework more minimal than alot of the stuff coming out today.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

minimal house wrote:i dont see minimal as a distinct genre..i see it is a sub genre of either techno or house. when people ask me what i play i tell them techno and house..cuz if i told them i play minimal, id be lying to them. alot of the records ive been picking up and hearing lately is not very minimal..with these complex drum arrangements..i mean id consider daft punks homework more minimal than alot of the stuff coming out today.
yeah i'm with you on all of that except rather than a sub genre, i'd say minimal is really more of an approach that takes in say, house, techno, electro... a smurge genre maybe?
Deef
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Deef »

i agree with the dude above.

mnml is imho no subgenre, just an approach of house, techno etc. just like you have deep house, off-beat techno, tribal techno... now it's the minimal approach that gets the upperhand. remember when swedish style techno was hot? or acid techno? it comes and goes.

when people ask me what music i like, i just say "minimal"... meaning i like a minimal approach, not only in music, but also in fotography, architecture etc.

but on the other hand... why categorize? you only have good music and bad music, and even that is worth a discussion on its own. de coloribus et gestibus non disputant!