2 questions about ableton

- ask away
mr_klotz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

2 questions about ableton

Post by mr_klotz »

hi,

i have ableton since 1 month now. and i am totally into this programme. i love it.
but i have 2 problems;

first:
when i take a single clip and copy it into the clip-session, then the sound is sometimes completely different as it was in the "pre-listening". sometimes in the pre-listening it was a melody and then in the clip-session it is a drum-sound. how can i solve this problem?

second:
i have the ground-structure of a track. so there is the bassline, the beat, a melody and so on. but i want some sounds that go bigger and bigger, cut it, rebuild it. sounds that go with the main idea of a track.
i mean the typical minimal sounds that makes a track really interesting.
how do you work with ableton, when you are going to create such sounds?
i have no idea what a way is, "to structure sounds for a whole single track".
there are many ideas in my head, but i can't work them out now.
please help me.
this would be great.

so long,
mr_klotz
chimorph
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chimorph »

Hi,

In answer to your first question, when you drag a sample into session view, the clip defaults to 'beat' warping mode, which can add some transients to the sound at whatever interval is set (usually every 16th note). Depending what sort of sound it it you need to be setting tone or texture mode, or complex if it's a long varied sample. Of course sometimes using the 'wrong' mode can make for some interesting effects.

As for your second question - it's a biggie, and time is short right now, so I'm not going to try to give you a quick answer. You might want to head over to the forum on the ableton site and check out the tricks and tips section - they have links to some great tutorials there.

cheers

chimorph