how did you start listening to minimal music?

- open
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

I was listening to indie rock and hardcore records and was real proud of the fact that I bought mostly vinyl 7" and 12"s and that it was a still a pure form of underground expression that I felt proud to be a part of. Raw energy.
Now I have to say there were a few of my friends that just seemed to know all about everything hip ,cutting edge and cool in all types of music it seemed and it was then that a friend turned me on to sheet one and i think plastikman's musik had just come out. When i first heard it i was like this is the slickest cleanest nastiest sounds out there!
So being a music addict I want more, LOTS MORE. I was handed a Prototype 909 transister rhythms cd bunch of x-mix type stuff that mix mag joint that hawtin did and some G-MAN on swim records as well as the kooky scientist unpopular science lp and it just continues from there. Now these friends are saying stuff like well these guys get their stuff from these guys(not saying they did but they were acting cool) and was the first time i heard a terms/names like BASIC CHANNEL BOYS(maurizio), Octave one, Atkins, Saunderson, Kenny Larkin,Tresor,DBX and this whole Detroit-Berlin connection thing and it's blowing my fucking mind!!!!
Started hitting these parties under the brooklyn bridge where one side of the space was Detroit and the other German or new york style and going out more and more to the point that it was all i was concerned with. Was weird also for a little while too as someone convinced me to check out an underworld show and i got into that type of sound for a little while and with trainspotting being big at that time and also stuff like tosca, kruder, etc...
From there got into lots of tech-house going from the deep housey/techno stuff to the more banging stuff like primevil type also the whole sweden sound exploding SVEK, Alexi Delano, Lekebush, Brikha and Iceland deep stuff on AE Thor,Ozy so on and so forth then narrowing it down to real mnml stuff in the last 4 years or so thanks to friends like Troy Pierce, Plexus, Magda and Mike Bryant and others here in NY that help steer me to the current mnml as we know it.

sorry for the life story but i had to explain it proper. :wink:
Last edited by Coog on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mirza »

:D
delayer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by delayer »

liked that since ive heard such tunes but dunno from whom it was, even when accurately ... it just existed ...

plastikman's albums were the first concrete touch .... initially music and sheet one, and after i discovered consumed, that was it .... a whole philosophy was born .... i still remember talking about minimalism in arts with a friend ; its purpose and properties .. some time later i concurrently discovered IDM and minimal and it was a real positive chaos .... i ve even found the minimalism in tracks that actually do not belong to this genre .... it' not about the genre, it's about the concept ...

the rest is just evolution :wink: