That latest Jamie Jones podcast is quite something, innit
12%

Total votes: 43

igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Has Villalobos lost it?

Post by igotsoul »

i looked at some videos from that cocoon in the park set and he was banging in his own way with c-rock - funky dope track and other tracks from his banging repertoire but they put him after cox!!!! we are talking about two opposite sounds, of course it was a downer for them "where's the drop?" heads
handsuphandsup
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah but why blame the crowd? or the booker?

is it too much too ask from a DJ legend to play once in a while a techno set, or go out of his comfort zone?

i mean i agree "has lost it" is totally overblown. i dont even think he had a bad day. he just made a bad decision, in playing the same stuff he probably plays the whole summer at every festival.
this time it just didnt fit.

i agree of course people are haters on facebook, and ricardo is not bad because of this gig. typical internet craziness.

but to blame the booker or the crowd is nothing better. its just the other direction :)
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

"As I’m saying, when we played before Martin Garrix, me and Jeff — we couldn’t get it. No one danced. I had kids, they were like eighteen years old, just looking at us, thinking, “What the fck are these guys doing?” They couldn’t understand anything we were playing, and believe me, I was trying to find the right thing, because wherever I am, my job is to make people dance, and if I can’t make them dance, I’m trying very hard to find a way to get them. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.

And then Martin Garrix got there, and he just opened his set with “Animals” — I mean, who would fuckin’ open his set with his main tune? And he opened his set with “Animals” and then the whole room became crazy. And actually again, it’s not Martin’s fault. I went to the organizer, and I went to the guy who did the lineup, and I said, “Why on earth did you do that? That was a super-big mistake,” and he said, “Yeah, we tried to mix things up.” I said, “You can’t do that. I just doesn’t work.” It doesn’t work."
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

what are you saying? villalobos couldnt play a techno set that equals that one of carl cox energy wise? i hope you are kidding

now im wondering what cox was playing

i think every ricardo set i heard until now is totally on that level energy wise.
thats some lame ass cheap techhouse stuff, carl cox plays there.

half the DJs i know could destroy it after such a set.

lol plays a nick curly track with 123 bpm, how in gods name could ricardo destroy the mood
jsz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jsz »

I remember Cox killing it with 'Love Story' decade ago.. :P
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:what are you saying? villalobos couldnt play a techno set that equals that one of carl cox energy wise? i hope you are kidding
I'm just going to butt in and say that the worst Villalobos experience i've ever had was him playing a 'headlining' set, playing 'bangers' from 4 to 6 AM.
Seriously, it was the worst sh!t ever. And i've been through a lot.
igotsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by igotsoul »

after listening to that clip of cox playing ^ i'm just going to say this was a publicity stunt lol
handsuphandsup
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

blizt wrote:"As I’m saying, when we played before Martin Garrix, me and Jeff — we couldn’t get it. No one danced. I had kids, they were like eighteen years old, just looking at us, thinking, “What the fck are these guys doing?” They couldn’t understand anything we were playing, and believe me, I was trying to find the right thing, because wherever I am, my job is to make people dance, and if I can’t make them dance, I’m trying very hard to find a way to get them. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.

And then Martin Garrix got there, and he just opened his set with “Animals” — I mean, who would fuckin’ open his set with his main tune? And he opened his set with “Animals” and then the whole room became crazy. And actually again, it’s not Martin’s fault. I went to the organizer, and I went to the guy who did the lineup, and I said, “Why on earth did you do that? That was a super-big mistake,” and he said, “Yeah, we tried to mix things up.” I said, “You can’t do that. I just doesn’t work.” It doesn’t work."
Who said this?