[Perlon105] Vilod - Safe In Harbour

- wax
Papa Bear
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: [Perlon105] Vilod - Safe In Harbour

Post by Papa Bear »

blizt wrote:I listened again the samples and that last track sounds like one of those Autechre tracks. One thing I'm specially liking about it s that I can't hear any recycling of previous material which is nice honestly.
Not sure about your comparison to be honest. I've never really understood the appeal behind Autechre. It just sounds like noise to my ears. On the other hand this one sounds like a Ricardo track to me, albeit a good Ricardo track where he actually made an effort, as opposed to all the expendable uninspired stuff that he's been churning out lately. That beautiful subtle melody is really striking a chord with me. Definitely investing my £15 in this.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Papa Bear wrote:Not sure about your comparison to be honest. I've never really understood the appeal behind Autechre. It just sounds like noise to my ears. On the other hand this one sounds like a Ricardo track to me, albeit a good Ricardo track where he actually made an effort, as opposed to all the expendable uninspired stuff that he's been churning out lately. That beautiful subtle melody is really striking a chord with me. Definitely investing my £15 in this.
I recommend you to listen more Autechre then. That last track definitely has a vibe to it. Even Ricardo admitted on an interview years ago that what he was doing was "ripping off Autechre and putting a 4x4 kickdrum underneath". Autechre has made some really great music but a lot of unlistenable stuff too I must admit. My copy is shipping monday 8)
Philsen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Philsen »

i must agree that the last track has something, and would really fit in some mix when you pitch it up ... but i dont pay 20,-€ for this one track ... rest sounds boring at all for me ...
-everything you think, do and say
is in the pill you took today-
:zager and evans:

-life is of the nature of water:
it always seeks the deepest place,
which is always below in the darkness
and heaviness of the earth.-
:c.g. jung:
Badea Mandea
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Badea Mandea »

about the AE comparison, i am not sure, maybe just regarding the weird noises in the background. other than that, it's sounds like a pretty basic 4/4 ricardo track.

i am expecting this to be the most torrented album for the next (at least) 2 months. especially since it's gonna have a CD release.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

jsz wrote:.i think this kind of stuff is all he will ever release."
or perhaps not under his real name... then no one can judge....

I think he mentioned some time ago about "flooding" the marketing and/or releasing too much material...

it certainly feels the "Unknown Artist" & "Unknown - Untitled" sauce may be starting to simmer once again...
Badea Mandea
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Badea Mandea »

has anyone received their copy yet? i saw this on decks: "PS , as an additional Feature each Vinyl Side contains a hidden Floorfriendly DJ Loop"

was curious what those sounded like.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Got my cd copy on friday.

Good album but not villalobos great I have to admit. It was nice hearing one track from villalobos that sounded like it was properly arranged and with a more conventional format. Most tracks run at 96 bpm and I dont think you can get away with playing this for a dancefloor and keep the people dancing. At times the jazz drums sounded a bit fakey, I know he uses a professional plugin for some of his percussion stuff anyway. Its really well and clean mixed though, with special care for the low frequencies as always. And that's it 7/10.