modular etc etc

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by Phase Ghost »

tone-def wrote: I think i'm going to go with the tiptop BD909. It seems quite flexible compared to the other tiptop drum modules. I'm using the Vermona Kick Lancet at the moment but i've got enough things on my desk. The mod.brane could be interesting for me though.
I've got the BD909, I like it. It's pretty much what you think it is; a 909 clone with extra parameters to further shape the sound. I use it about 50% of the time, with the other half being kicks I made.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:
For percussion, the MakeNoise Maths envelopes are so nice. I use them exclusively at this point.
me to !
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

Robot Criminal wrote:http://www.hard-mod.com/eng/duo_.html - any thoughts?

Price U.S.D. $650 plus shipping.
On one hand it sort of defeats the purpose of modular I guess, not being able to mix and match modules from different manufacturers. On the other hand, it's cheap, and def. sounds good

I'm on the fence about this one ;)

-A
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

edit: you don't care. i'll spare the space and bandwidth.
Last edited by skept on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

Can anybody send me some good modular videos, the only decent ones are of steevio. I keep searching youtube but the videos are awful. I'm selling my current studio setup to fund a modular at the moment. I've already sold one of my drum machines and im currently selling a Vermona DRM MK3 on ebay now if anybody is interested. I want to see some good videos showing some nice rhythm relationships between percussion and bass. Whenever I look for any good modular videos all I find is people posting videos of square waves unfiltered with really simple sh!t melody's and silly effects. Not what I would say is music. I understand these are experiments highlighting features of certain modules but even so whenever I search for anybody making music on modular the tracks sound very cheesy and often have arpeggiated sounding sequences. It's already putting me off going modular! I saw one of john tejada messing with the tiptop 909 but it was a pretty straight 909 sequence, sounded very nice but obviously didn't highlight the advantages of modular. If somebody could upload some really nice videos that would be hugely appreciated!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

lots of the modular scene is gear fetishism... used to be more open minded about it but I'm pretty prepared to go on record and say that now. I am interested in booking modular peeps for events and I've listened to pretty much everything out there and there aren't that many musicians using those tools.

To that end, instead of posting some tracks, which might not be to your taste I would advice on choosing modules to suit your own needs. Every module I've bought I've researched in massive detail and it took me a very long time to get it to where I want it, and I've bought and sold twice as much as what I have now to get to this point, but I've got my instrument custom made for me and together we make music.

Read the manuals and choose based on module literature and the vibe of the company.

Don't bother listening to demos if you can't find good ones. The beauty and beast of modular is the endless possibilities, and the treasure is yours to find.

Get stuck in!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks for the kind words gowans, i agree with oblio don't bother watching videos.

one of the reasons i went modular in the first place was because nobody seemed to be doing anything much in the techno way, when it blatantly is totally capable of, and in many ways the perfect platform for making our kind of music, and i couldnt understand it.

now i realise that in comparison to software its a much more expensive route, (but worth every penny). especially if you are trying to do it all analogue.

dont let the fact that nobody seems to be making techno with a modular put you off, infact it should be urging you on bro. it's your chance to do something different.

trust me, modulars are perfect for techno, the roots and essence of techno came from exactly that place, but now its cheaper, smaller, lighter and way more developed.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

@ gowans: what you describe is the major reason i am at odds with the internet synth scene. too many scientists and nerds. not enough artists. this isn't really a problem as they should do what they wnat but it does cause some confusion when trying to figure out how they tools can be used from a musician's perspective. the brand cheerleaders don't really help either.

@ oblioblioblio and steevio: do you ever think that it seems like no one is using these tools to make music because the people making music with them are sitting in theirs studios doing just that instead of wasting time on internet forums and posting youtube videos?

a few people that i can effortlessly think of who are well known for making techno and using modulars: plastikman, lucy, drumcell, villalobos