Recording with crowd noise

- open
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Recording with crowd noise

Post by wax works »

I want to record our future gigs and club nights with the crowd noise included, does anyone know how this is done, or what equipment is required?

Thanks
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Recording with crowd noise

Post by John Clees »

standard : field recorder : I believe. they vary in price from $70 up to a few hundred.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DR-0 ... 1512411.gc

TASCAM DR-08 Linear PCM/MP3 Recorder

$79.99
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

the dr-08 is 80$ in the u.s. ?? da fuq, here it costs €100 ...

anyways one cannot record through microphone and line at the same time.. at least that's what i know, if you can john, pls explain how :D
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DR-0 ... 1837592.gc

i'm 90% sure that this can record in four channels - two channels for the left and right line input, and two channels for the microphone - all at the same time. drop those in to your daw and mix it appropriately and you should be good to go.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
R40UL
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by R40UL »

I've never done this, but after a bit of reading, this is how I'd do it:
For recording you'll need a multitrack field recorder, such as the Zoom H4.
As far as I know it can record both mic and line input at the same time. If done correctly, you should end up with 2 seperate audio tracks.
I guess the tricky part will be the post production.
First of all you'd wanna put both tracks into the DAW of your choice and line them up perfectly synced to avoid an unwanted chorus effect. Then select the best parts of the crowd recording, turn the track up, when the crowd goes mental and turn it down when you can hear some drunk fck yelling at his girlfriend. Also put some filters on it, so that you can get rid of the frequencies, that are outside the human vocal range. And if you're a pro, you could even fiddle around with the room resonances.

However I wonder, if there is an easier way regarding the post production. It'd be perfect if there was a software that can analyse the two recorded tracks and then somehow automatically subtract the actual set from the crowd recording.....
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

as a total aside...

why do you want the crowd noise? there's no way you're going to make me "feel like i was there" when i'm sitting on my laptop checking facebook and listening to a recording, so the crowd noise just seems a bit useless to me.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

yeah depends..

check out the first minutes of this recording.. that's dope in my book ;) ... anyways as the set goes on it's not that dope anymore imo..

dr-07mkII should indeed be able to record microphone and line at the same time.. can't confirm it first hand tho since i don't own it..
Papa Bear
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Papa Bear »

cloutier wrote:as a total aside...

why do you want the crowd noise? there's no way you're going to make me "feel like i was there" when i'm sitting on my laptop checking facebook and listening to a recording, so the crowd noise just seems a bit useless to me.
It's not hipster enough if there's no crowd noise.