vinyl - damage to records when there's no paper sleeve?

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

vinyl - damage to records when there's no paper sleeve?

Post by cloutier »

so...i've been in some weird ocd induced frenzy that i need to make sure that every single one of my records is in at least the paper sleeve, similar to if you were given a white label. i'm convinced, and i could easily show proof, that records that come out in just the outer jacket - meaning there's not the paper sleeve separating the vinyl and the cardboard - is exceptionally damaging to the record.

now, there's people out there that will say "cardboard is just stiffer paper, so how could one be worse than the other?" well...i'm fairly certain that some of the recent acquisitions that i've made, such as some of the newest frozen border / horizontal ground records, amongst others, that all come without the paper sleeve, are already showing surface wear, where as other records that i've bought years before them and play just as frequently look damn near band new.

any thoughts on this? am i losing my mind, or am i right?
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: vinyl - damage to records when there's no paper sleeve?

Post by Themis »

i noticed that too, my theorie on that is, EVERY paper based sleeve can do this. Even inner paper sleeves can do this to your vinyl if you pull it out and in many times, i believe its called paper scruffs?

so i use inner sleeves with plastic.

you have to extra buy them, and they sadly dont fit into any paper outer sleeve...

i dont use ONLY outer sleeves, there is nearly no protection at all, and these records tend to get really dirty fast.

with the plastic inner sleeves, the round hole is also closed, so less dust and dirt.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

nah i've experienced that a lot... clearly the records suffer the most when there is no inner sleeve, but as themis mentioned even with paper inner sleeves records show sings of wear pretty fast sometimes..

seeing that my precious wax takes damage tho i have been so careful treating it, bothered me so much that i stopped using paper sleeves completely.. (at least with records i value and play out..)

paper sleeves with plastic inside is from my experience the most gentle way to store vinyl, i bought lots of it and use them on every record now.. sadly they only fit in the covers with a 3mm border..

for smaller covers one can use those
they are also gentle to the vinyl but it sucks when putting the record back in it..
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

These days I wish more records came with cardboard sleeves. So much stuff is just comes in paper sleeves.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:These days I wish more records came with cardboard sleeves. So much stuff is just comes in paper sleeves.
agreed, but it's all just a matter of $$$.$$$ :?
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

True, i always thought the reason was that when you have some dust inside of the stiffer sleeves and you have no inner sleeve, this can be more damaging than when having an inner sleeve only. That in combination with putting too much records in a dj bag/trolley can have horrible effects on you records.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

getting a black cardboard cover to protect the paper sleeve for a release of 300 copies costs around 20-30 euros extra here in Helsinki so that obviously is not the right place to start saving up.
resolved
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by resolved »

i buy plastic lined sleeves like themis. anything hard to replace (or that i just particularly value for whatever reason) gets put in one. much better and well worth the investment.