- wax
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: [FOFLTD11] Nail - Ode Rammel

Post by dirddey_iddler »

BrokenBo wrote:
breton wrote:
ps. Owning them doesn't make you special.
true words!

thats true.

but is it better to get this by own work and expierence or just while others did homeworks for you (as usual)?

in that case if you are happy with that, that a 320kpbs mp3 could be also enough for you.

So the conclusion is, the same question was asked why i buy records (in one of the repress threads), why do you guys buy records??

One answer i can give you: we like music and we like the club culture. nevertheless the claim is a little bit different.

ask a record collector what he thinks about when rare jazz or funk stuff will rereleased.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

For all those that are disappointed with these reissues there are many more that welcome them. Even for the likes of myself who has owned everything we reissued before actually putting the reissues out (apart from the tambourine man), I welcome them because it means I can keep my OG copy in perfect condition.

I think mostly though it’s about the artists and when you speak to those involved they are just happy that people still care. Most of the time they are not aware that their records are rare, and when they find out there is still a demand they are over the moon. These people often gave up on music and started to do something else and are now getting a second chance to follow their passions.

It’s a real shame that people can’t see the bigger picture.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

::BLM:: wrote:For all those that are disappointed with these reissues there are many more that welcome them. Even for the likes of myself who has owned everything we reissued before actually putting the reissues out (apart from the tambourine man), I welcome them because it means I can keep my OG copy in perfect condition.

I think mostly though it’s about the artists and when you speak to those involved they are just happy that people still care. Most of the time they are not aware that their records are rare, and when they find out there is still a demand they are over the moon. These people often gave up on music and started to do something else and are now getting a second chance to follow their passions.

what is the motivation to a rerelease? how profit the artist? daniel bell told me, he knows that accerlerates and 7th stuff are very overpriced, and he is very disappointed about the evolution of the vinyl prices.

Its right that some of the most creators of such records are not involved into that record thing.

But ask other djs who have a well selected collection grown up with their career, what they think about it.

What kind of contributions do you want to give with a rerelease?

when a label makes their own represse like baby ford, perlon, etc. its great.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

dirddey_iddler wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:For all those that are disappointed with these reissues there are many more that welcome them. Even for the likes of myself who has owned everything we reissued before actually putting the reissues out (apart from the tambourine man), I welcome them because it means I can keep my OG copy in perfect condition.

what is the motivation to a rerelease? how profit the artist? daniel bell told me, he knows that accerlerates and 7th stuff are very overpriced, and he is very disappointed about the evolution of the vinyl prices.

Its right that some of the most creators of such records are not involved into that record thing.

But ask other djs who have a well selected collection grown up with their career, what they think about it.

What kind of contributions do you want to give with a rerelease?

when a label makes their own represse like baby ford, perlon, etc. its great.
There are many ways this benefits the artist. First off, they get some more exposure. Just because us nerds know about Nail, doesnt mean everyone else does. Like I said, they get a second chance to live their passion. It might inspire them to get back into the studio, which is good for the soul. Do you produce music? Do you understand the rollercoaster ride it can play on your emotions? If in 15 years someone enthusiastic about my music contacted me to license some of my old music, it would be a really welcome surprise. It actually would upset me knowing that people out there that dont want me to try again with my music and want it to stay a secret. This to me is not what music is about!

Really though when the artist is really happy about the re release it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. I am a collector/dj myself and know many others that are not bothered that stuff gets reissued after me/them spending lots of money on them. Music for me is meant to be enjoyed by as many people as possible and that's what these reissues are about.
Last edited by ::BLM:: on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

some of that points you wrote are grateful and it would be great if you can hold your statements.

exposure is a little bit confusing. underground music needs underground artists.

dance music in such a way and style arent accepted to the populace.

to make dance music in such a kind of style expects that i know what i do (and maybe not creating the next dance chart breaker).
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

dirddey_iddler wrote:some of that points you wrote are grateful and it would be great if you can hold your statements.

exposure is a little bit confusing. underground music needs underground artists.

dance music in such a way and style arent accepted to the populace.

to make dance music in such a kind of style expects that i know what i do (and maybe not creating the next dance chart breaker).
its not really that confusing. artists like Nail and Schatrax for example will always remain underground. i don't mean so much so its getting released in the top 40 pop charts. just enough though for artists to focus on their art is enough, rather then having to work a 40hr week in a job they despise and then trying to find a spare minute to make some music. I don't think enough people really know what its like to be an artist, so they are quick to judge.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

The sooner people realize we live in the age of internet the better. You digged in crates for hours, exchanged email on 56k modem... So what? It doesnt make you any better from the rest. Now I can browse forums and ID some old records pretty fast and you feel frustrated. This is just a sign of insecure people needing to feel superior. All I can say is I envy you for being exposed to that music earlier than me. That's it. Accept it, less frustration in your life.

Still I think and original copy it's going to resale better than a repress. Look at Perlon, they are now repressing stuff on black/white colors. It's a way of saying: "hey we still appreciate the people that bought the record when it came out, but we also want more people to have access to it".

Only valid argument I can think from people against the repress is being able to make money on the second hand market. But sooner or later I think we will see the prices from a lot of the supposed "hyped" stuff going down because it's just stupid the amount of some of these being sold on discogs. I can understand some one asking 300€ for "MDMA" or "Law of Grace" if there is only one person in the planet willing to sale it. It's the market that put the prices. Heck! I'll maybe do the same and ask for 500€ better, but you have to live with the fact that music is not your propierty, you OWN ZERO RIGHTS on that stuff. You didnt program sh!t on those drum machines, neither you played those synths. Go on and hate and blame the artists, who are the ones that gave the permission for a repress to happen. Blame them from trying to win some money with their music.
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

::BLM:: wrote:
its not really that confusing. artists like Nail and Schatrax for example will always remain underground. i don't mean so much so its getting released in the top 40 pop charts. just enough though for artists to focus on their art is enough, rather then having to work a 40hr week in a job they despise and then trying to find a spare minute to make some music. I don't think enough people really know what its like to be an artist, so they are quick to judge.
exactly. nail and schatrax made music for the underground (mispent years was licensed to soma, it was a "hit"). as i understand you right, you will just gave them feedback back that were missed at their original release?

i think some underground producers have a main job besides their music. Only from underground you can`t live without djing and constant bookings etc. Or you make parties and have enogh time during the week to sit in the studio whatever.

If you are making underground music besides a normal job it doesnt matter if your release sold 500 or 1000 times.

So its just to hope a quality output that occurs.

as i met aubrey years ago, he lived mallorca. had his machines in his finca and works at the day. i dont what josh do. aubrey is busy all the time with his outputs.