modular etc etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

I ordered a couple of new things recently, lets see how they turn out.

Got a kit for the Pingable Envelope Generator from 4ms... looks really interesting.

Also ordered a Bionic Lester from the Harvestman which I plan to use for high frequency percussion. Both these recent purchases were to get more percussive stuff from my modular, and I really don't feel that drum modules are right for me, so going to see what these things can do.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Bionic Lester looks very interesting. One of the most unique filters out there. He's also announced the Piston Honda MKII, which looks amazing. A complete re-design it appears. It's one of my favorite modules really and I'll probably get the next one at some point.

I'm not really interested in most dedicated drum modules either, but I have the 808 hats and I'm pretty happy with them. It would take a lot of modules to re-create that, so I feel it works. Plus, the choke feature can get so funky. For other percussive sounds, I'd much rather create them from scratch.

I am very interested in the recently released BD909 (yo Steevio, did you see it?). I think everyone's been waiting for that fucker to drop. Gur from Tip Top has stated it's more of a "bass drum lab" than a straight up 909 clone. He seems very excited about it. I just want to hear some demo's. I was completely prepared to buy one sight unseen, but the original batch sold out in like 20 minutes (literally). So, we'll see.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I guess I'm a real minimalist, and when I think about drum modules, I look at my system and see what's already there, and get all edgy if I'm about to duplicate anything.

I think the Roland machines were very well thought out, as they use sound sources very cleverly, like using the same noise source, or oscillator group for many different sounds.

I already have a good white and pink noise generator, so I'm not really into getting a snare. White and pink noise into a crossfader and then into a filter is really useful. I also have a Wiard Omni filter that I use for monophonic bass, that will morph from low to band to high pass, that is great to use with crossfaded pink/white noise as well as a square osc.

Hi hats, yeah you're right, they're trickier. But I have so many oscillators lying around (I've got lots of Wogglebugs), as well as other ones with multiple outputs. My feeling at this point is to try and abuse the Bionic Lester with those and use bandpass to get high frequency sounds.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:Got a kit for the Pingable Envelope Generator from 4ms... looks really interesting.
i've had my eye on this. looks a lot of fun.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah it looks pure techno to me.

the shapes and skews that it can do are only possible with digital, with analogue envelopes if you change the shape in those ways it changes the overall envelope time, so that is one unique thing. Plus the ability to define the time with a clock signal, and then divide it or multiply it, and then with the gate outs you can then fit the new timing signals back into other modules.

Think it's really going to make some big changes for me.

The kit looks really well documented and the total cost including shipping is about £130
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i got bored with the PEG idea... just done all my rhythms by chucking cables into switches and blah blah blah.

Bionic Lester is a bit of a monster... very similar kind of thing to a BBD, digital and analogue. Organic depth and stepped digital crudeness. I've been using it for weird sounds but only scratched the surface. Very interesting.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:i got bored with the PEG idea... just done all my rhythms by chucking cables into switches and blah blah blah.
Let me know if you want to sell it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Tony, yep I sure do. It's still in kit form. Is that good for you? How are your soldering skills? I could also build it for you.