Paying netlabels?

- free art
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

I totally agree with steevio.
rad wrote:I believe in physical products, how great is it to carry home that beautiful vinyl, which i paid with my lunch money;)

so, "answering" pheek, I do think/aggree that there will allways be space for physical products, cos we all love touching & owning these things.
I think it's nicer to be less materialistic also....
In a way it's a little bit egoistic to think only about the pleasure it produces us to have/create such product and not think about the environment damage we are causing. We all buy vinyls and cds for the music right? The packaging can be nice, but the main star is the music. I think it's completely awesome if we can have music without a package (and we can). Less packaging=less contamination.

A lot of people claim that vinyl is magical. Don't you think it's also magical to have digital music you can't see and touch? For me it is :P

And sorry for the off topic.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

the vinyl market is a very niche one
we daily use a lot of products which are far more damaging considering their sales volume on a worldwide scale... vinyl is peanuts compared to that...

just to put the environmental issue in perspective
dou
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dou »

steevio wrote: Why dont we all get our heads together and put on a big free netlabel event or festival ???? :)
Interactive methods and devices are allowing new ways for performers to reach audiences across the world, bringing live performances to a global audience.

The first Netstock festival was a joint idea by the minds behind the netlabels OpenLab Records, and maetrixsolution. Between Friday 18th March to Sunday 20th March 2005, we brought almost 60 hours of non-stop netaudio music from live performances and DJ's from many different netlabels across the globe.

link to netstockfest

its something happening online though

link
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dsat wrote:the vinyl market is a very niche one
we daily use a lot of products which are far more damaging considering their sales volume on a worldwide scale... vinyl is peanuts compared to that...

just to put the environmental issue in perspective
i totally agree, but there are a few of us out here who try to have as little impact as possible by buying fresh organic food with no packaging, recycle everything, generally consume less, and live as green as possible.
I know people whose labels only produce 7" vinyl for this very reason, it may only be a gesture but it shows that they are thinking about it.
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by adhesif »

isabella wrote:
adhesif wrote:the internet is a powerful tool but its just one tool available within the toolbox!
the internet is the future. it's the fastest, the best and cheapest tool so far :wink:
could i ask why your happy about paying your isp and not paying buttons for someones creativity?
'adventitious roots'
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

adhesif wrote:could i ask why your happy about paying your isp and not paying buttons for someones creativity?
first of all i´m very happy to pay my isp because it gives me way more music, content and information than some records.
and second, when i´m paying for a cd or a vinyl, i´m not really paying for someone´s creativity, in fact very little money arrives to the artist. i´m paying for a product which means paying the media and the middlemen involved in the process of the product.

with due respect to the artists, let´s not overestimate and overprice the creativity. there are a lot of artists that are producing good music, and should be rewarded for that, but they are not geniuses for doing so. specially because it´s very simple to make music nowadays. keep in mind that they didn´t invent a vaccine against hiv or are working all their lifes on a non profit organization helping others. please don´t loose perspective...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

isabella wrote:
with due respect to the artists, let´s not overestimate and overprice the creativity. there are a lot of artists that are producing good music, and should be rewarded for that, but they are not geniuses for doing so. specially because it´s very simple to make music nowadays. keep in mind that they didn´t invent a vaccine against hiv or are working all their lifes on a non profit organization helping others. please don´t loose perspective...
i can see where you're coming from and can agree in part, but lets not forget that it's always been easy to make music, right since the first man or woman banged a hollow log with a stick 40,000 years ago. So yes not ALL people who make music are geniuses, but some are, and not all people who work in HIV laboratories are geniuses either.
There's a big difference between a geek with a laptop putting a couple of other peoples loops together, pressing randomize and calling it music, and a 8 year old virtuoso pianist. Almost 99% of the music i hear falls into the first camp, but occasionally some real music with soul, crafted with love shines out. There are shamen out there, it's finding them thats the difficult bit.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

steevio wrote:
isabella wrote:
i can see where you're coming from and can agree in part, but lets not forget that it's always been easy to make music, right since the first man or woman banged a hollow log with a stick 40,000 years ago. So yes not ALL people who make music are geniuses, but some are, and not all people who work in HIV laboratories are geniuses either.
There's a big difference between a geek with a laptop putting a couple of other peoples loops together, pressing randomize and calling it music, and a 8 year old virtuoso pianist. Almost 99% of the music i hear falls into the first camp, but occasionally some real music with soul, crafted with love shines out. There are shamen out there, it's finding them thats the difficult bit.
yeah, that´s exactly what i was trying to say also :wink: