electronic soul

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: electronic soul

Post by steevio »

Ingemar wrote:
Those parameters, I take it in this topic, is 90's detroit techno? and if so, like i said above; im not qualified to make anything more than educated guesses.
i wasnt personally referring to 90's Detroit Techno, 'soulful techno' was a term used amongst my peers back in the 90's but not specifically relating to detroit techno, infact most of the music that my friends and i listened to back then was UK in origin.
Hi-Tek soul as far i know was a term coined by Derrick May quite recently.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Could you give some examples of that music, Steevio? I'm sure it's amazing stuff ...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think soul music comes from being honest/faithful to yourself, and from having vision.

I'd be interested in examples of purely electronic music that people believe are truely soulful to them. Most of the examples that I can think that work for me have acoustic elements, especially vocals and lyrics which to me, if they are good are instant soul. Sampled instruments like say in GAS even if heavily processed also don't work for what I want, I want to find my own soul through connecting with my machines. Maybe I'm too much of a purist, and perhaps soul also comes from being OK with your influences and accepting that whatever you do will contain sampled ideas from other sources, even if indirectly.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:I'd be interested in examples of purely electronic music that people believe are truely soulful to them.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

oblioblioblio wrote:I'd be interested in examples of purely electronic music that people believe are truely soulful to them.

8)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i now think the purism thing of entirely electronic sources is a bit pointless. whatever best serves the music and the musician.

I heard a Juju and Jordash track called Hired Guns that to me was really soulful.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mehta wrote:Could you give some examples of that music, Steevio? I'm sure it's amazing stuff ...
jeez i dunno, there was so much amazing electronic music from the UK in the early 1990s, how about the entire Leftism album by Leftfield ? stuff by Orbital, Black Dog, Slam, stuff on the Warp label, even Underworld etc etc.
EDM was almost mainstream music back then, but sheer quality and oozing with soul.

i'll come up with a definitive list of more underground 'techno' stuff for you, i'll have to start digging through my old crates.

eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Hallo hallo,

Shameless plug time here but I would definitely describe my label's debut 12" by Matti as soulful:

It's got more soul than James Brown if you ask me.