Mathew Jonson

kk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Mathew Jonson

Post by kk »

Vancouver B.C.’s own Mathew Jonson has built a solid reputation over the past few years through his participation in the Modern Deep Left Quartet, Cobblestone Jazz and by various productions under his own name. His forays into Jazz, house, fusion, techno and other electronic based music(s) reference a youth filled with musical creativity and ingenue. Formally trained in drums, percussion from a young age, Mat also had stints performing clarinet and classical piano. In fact, a young MJ played in the under-18 drum concert band at the age of 11, a feat made spectacular by his early ability to improvise in lieu of reading music. Through his father’s interest in early electronic music and instruments, Matt discovered a new form of sound and musical composition, a form he began to tweak and fiddle with at 10 years of age, utilising keyboards, basic sequencers and sound modules. Between 12 and 17 years, Matt began experimenting with computer-based sequencing and sound—programming being the logical extension of his early box instruments. A visit to the monolithic Vancouver World Fair in 1986 catapulted the youngster into a world of compu-based generation and musical exploration. The focus of this globally influential event was the transmission of humans and information in the digital age, a catalytic theme for the young Jonson and his already burgeoning sense for production. During his late teens and early twenties, Matt could be found performing regularly in Vancouver, Victoria and environs throughout. An increasingly personal interest in live performance prompted Matt to focus again on outboard equipment, old 70’s anologues with a primarily hands-on usage. Mat’s deeply moody solo performances, combined with his impressive session playing in the Modern Deep Left Quartet and Cobblestone Jazz, served to build a reputation for masterful composition, riveting and intensely emotional musicianship and, ultimately, national and international acclaim. His solo productions for Itiswhatitis and a collaborative Perlon recording have brought him broad international attention and exposure, evident in his travels to Geneva, Switzerland to work with Luciano, Germany and his performance at Mutek’s Micro 7—a prelude to Mutek’s 3rd edition were he played with Cobblestone Jazz. Although Mat’s Itiswhatitis releases have been licensed by such luminaries as Dan Bell and Carl Craig, attracted the praise of Richie Hawtin, Laurent Garnier and Larry Heard, Mat’s understated modesty speaks through the deeply personal nature of his work, a testament to his artistry and genuine character.

Releases:
New Identity (12") Itiswhatitis Recordings
She Is He (12") Itiswhatitis Recordings
Typerope EP (12") Itiswhatitis Recordings

Remixes:
...On The Radio / Turn Off The Light (CD5") Turn Off The Light (De... DreamWorks Records
Turn Off The Light (12") Turn Off The Light (De... DreamWorks Records
Tracks Appear On:
East / West EP - Vol. 1 (12") Rewire Itiswhatitis Recordings
The Workout (2xCD) She Is He React
Alpine Rocket (12") Alpine Rocket Perlon
Fabric 11 (CD) Freedom Engine Fabric (London)
Taka Taka (CD) Typerope Cocoon Recordings
All People Is My Friends (CD) Typerope Kompakt

---------------

His new EP on Minus called 'Decompression' is everything I would expect from the artist who made Typerope.

He also just released a new one on Sub Static (#41) called 'Behind the Mirror', really good as well.

Watch this guy as closely as Rich Hawtin does and you will believe... Rich was the only one who had his minus release this summer, and boy did he play it. I head Matt play live in Detroit this year at an after party for Movement Festival, without a doubt the best live PA i've heard for over a year or so... and it went on for 2 hours or so.
We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.
--Nietzsche
'k''
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 'k'' »

Decompression EP.

Sub Static was not enough for Mathew Jonson, last week he came back with his new m-nus imprint. 'Decompression' and 'Ultraviolet Dream' are just great. That's all i can say..

Just take a look..

track.one
track.two
Surgi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Surgi »

His latest "Love Letter To The Enemy" very nice, also like his other stuff!
http://www.myspace.com/dj_surgi

23/02/07 @ 2 Years Punk'ID, Decadance, Gent, Belgium from 22h till 0h
sandrookie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sandrookie »

I like his releases a lot. Tonight he playes live in my home town (with steve bug and luciano as supporting DJ's). Looking forward :)
Surgi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Surgi »

I know, I would take a visit too but I must work tomorrow :cry:
http://www.myspace.com/dj_surgi

23/02/07 @ 2 Years Punk'ID, Decadance, Gent, Belgium from 22h till 0h
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by braz »

I saw him live saturday in Doornroosje, Nijmegen. very very cool! :D
Most people wanted to see Juan Atkins and dj bone in the main room, so the back room, where mathew was playing, wasnt crowded at all. Brilliant atmoshere, nice people and MJ rocked teh place. Im a fan from now on!
MvA
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MvA »

Great artist. Saw him last saturday in Rotterdam, he played a perfect live performance. Full of energy and minimality.
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by braz »

MvA wrote:Great artist. Saw him last saturday in Rotterdam, he played a perfect live performance. Full of energy and minimality.
This was at the secret minimal party with guys from minimal eindhoven right? What time did jonson play there? he looked very tired in Nijmegen. Didn't affect his set thoug :D