Going analog

- ask away
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Going analog

Post by Harry »

My girlfriend has just ordered me my first piece of analog hardware for christmas - a Korg Electribe ER-1.

Seeing as this is my first step into the world of hardware i'm still unsure on how will be best to record into logic 9 on my macbook?

At the moment i have no proper audio Interface, just a Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ that came with the traktor scratch package.

Any tips and advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Going analog

Post by lem »

I don't think you mean analogue, you mean hands-on hardware. The electribe is digital.
But YES (get in!)! Your girlfriend has bought you hardware!!
The Electribe is a wicked way to learn how to program beats, it basically has 808/909 type sequencing. Which was the thing I missed the most on my TR909.
Everyone else will possibly say different but... Just get yourself the right cables and use your Audio 4. It will do for the time being.

You want to look into midi sync, I think there was a topic below.
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harry »

lem wrote: I don't think you mean analogue, you mean hands-on hardware. The electribe is digital.
Ah ok, i always thought it was analogue, as you can tell i've still got a lot to learn :lol:

Also, i can't believe she actually ordered it, what a result!

Can't wait to get going on it, been craving something live and hands-on for so long now, clicking away on logic is getting a bit tedious!

It looks like the ER-1 has phono outs on the back, so it would be as easy as going straight into one of the inputs on the audio 4 using just phono cables?

I'll have a look for the midi sync topic now. Thanks man
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Use your Native Instruments box for the time being, it will be fine to start with. I've recorded full tracks using the built in soundcard on a laptop.

However, if you get more outboard equipment, if you want to get these sounds into the digital world, I would suggest getting a better quality soundcard, or if you're really getting deep into an analogue set up, a dedicated ADC (analogue to digital converter).

The soundcard dictates the quality at which you can record at, as it is the gateway between flowing analogue voltages and digital streams of discrete pieces of data, and there are subtle differences that can make a big difference to how these devices sound. And good audio equipment takes investment and dedication to build quality that you aren't going to get from a very cheap device.

But for a single device like an ER-1 I wouldn't sweat it just yet.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Harry wrote:
lem wrote: I don't think you mean analogue, you mean hands-on hardware. The electribe is digital.
Ah ok, i always thought it was analogue, as you can tell i've still got a lot to learn :lol:

Also, i can't believe she actually ordered it, what a result!

Can't wait to get going on it, been craving something live and hands-on for so long now, clicking away on logic is getting a bit tedious!

It looks like the ER-1 has phono outs on the back, so it would be as easy as going straight into one of the inputs on the audio 4 using just phono cables?

I'll have a look for the midi sync topic now. Thanks man
Not phono outs I'm afraid mate :(
It outputs on unbalanced (mono) 1/4 jacks. Just like a guitar cable. The cheapest way to get going would be to buy some little adapters. They aren't ideal, but really really useful things to have around anyway. Should be less than £5 for a pair. 2 mono cables to phono are probably gonna set you back a bit more.

I think you will love the electribe. Its very hands on and you can get a pretty serious beat going on it in a matter of minutes. Then you can rely on logic for synths etc...
I know when I started out I used to spend so much time programming beats into DAW's. The electribe should teach you a few things about perc sequencing pretty quickly.
Harry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harry »

oblioblioblio wrote:Not phono outs I'm afraid mate
It outputs on unbalanced (mono) 1/4 jacks. Just like a guitar cable
Ok, must of not seen properly from the videos i've been watching. Have just downloaded the manual and can see what you mean now, think i have an adapter like this lying around somewhere. Although i might just splash out and get the mono to phono cables, would it be something like this is need? - http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and ... ono-3m/8GA
oblioblioblio wrote:I think you will love the electribe. Its very hands on and you can get a pretty serious beat going on it in a matter of minutes. Then you can rely on logic for synths etc...
I'm really looking forward to getting some beats going, interested in the weird little percs i've heard you can get out of it. Also will be nice to record some live alteration and a get a bit more of a live feeling movement in my tracks.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

i'd like to know, where does one find a girlfriend like yours? :)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... m.php?f=48 you might want to check this out too if you haven't already :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...