computer upgrade.

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

computer upgrade.

Post by victorgonzales »

So I stepped away from the music world for nearly two years now. Decided I feel like getting back into it. Finally back into a comfortable place in life after clawing my way back up to prosperity after being kicked down by the keynesian idiot in charge. Time to make some music.

Was running cubase sx3 and went and got cubase 6. Computer can't fucking handle it. max cpu hit if I run more than a few vsts or start runnign reverbs or any other heavy cpu usage effects.

How much computer do I need to get ahead of this? Will 7-800 dollars get me there? I can already use my box and all the little stuff. Just looking to get a motherboard, cpu, ram, and harddrive to throw in. What do you guys recomend that can keep me under a thousand dollars but will keep me from throwing my monitor out the window when trying to make music?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: computer upgrade.

Post by lem »

Welcome back Victor, I was wondering what happened to you!

I'm sure your outlay will get you a decent computer. Although I wouldn't know what processor etc... all the i7 processor stuff just confuses me. I was going to build a super quiet computer a few years back but the cost mounted up so quickly that I never did.

(dare I say) I got a Mac mini and I have never looked back. Still as solid as when I bought it 2 years ago and I have to say I don't miss windows one bit.

But you asked about PC, so lets not turn this into a Mac vs PC debate.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

you only need a motherboard nothing expensiv only to handle the cpu, sockel 1155, take some asus or intel for around 100 dollar
ram is fucking cheap so best you take 8 GB
and cpu something like Intel Core i7-2600K, 4x 3.40GHz

should be enough for years

EDIT: the problem with mac mini is, its not cheap. if you want 8 GB instead of 4 you are way over 800 Dollars, and thats the smallest version with the weakest CPU!
another thing is, you cant buy any hardware for yourself, you always have to bring it to a mac store and that costs you also.
for example 4 gb of additional ram cost you about 30 dollar if you buy it yourself, if you upgrade it over the apple store (which is a must if you buy an apple) it costs you 100 dollar.

but it really looks nice and small :D
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

I just bought this:

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard Intel I5 3570K Processor and 8GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP Blue Memory

cost me 300£ and works fine. I have loads of stuff running and not had any problems.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Themis wrote:but it really looks nice and small :D
It is quite expensive, but so so quiet! A similar spec'ed silent pc would have cost me about the same and not been half as small and nice ;)
When it breaks I wouldn't think twice about going out and buying another one. I don't need the power for the music I make. All thats important to me is transparent computing.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Mac mini's are pretty sweet actually. The ram is dead is to change as well. You could always build a hackintosh. It's so easy to get the OS running now compared to when I first built mine.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Phase Ghost wrote:Mac mini's are pretty sweet actually. The ram is dead is to change as well. You could always build a hackintosh. It's so easy to get the OS running now compared to when I first built mine.
Are hackintoshes really that stable? I wouldn't even attempt it! For me it takes everything away from what a Mac actually is. (no I don't mean stupidly expensive and pretty - as valid as it is) I just mean transparent and reliable. (and pretty)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I built a hackintosh 4.5 years ago and it's given me less trouble than my macbook. Granted, neither have given much trouble at all. It's fuckin solid. I have a Focusrite pro40 running perfectly off it along with a midi keyboard and a launchpad as well. All the software works perfect.