Making Pads

- ask away
pete22
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Making Pads

Post by pete22 »

Hi can anyone give me any advise on making these kinda deep atoms pads, im trying at the moment but they all sound a bit too polyphonic and not deep enough, any clues as to where im going wrong ?

Thanks for ur help

lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Making Pads

Post by lem »

What do u mean by 'too polyphonic'?
pete22
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pete22 »

They sound sh!t like these lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tqTvX552r0
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Sorry mate, i cant listen to anything atm...

Polyphony is a good thing as far as pads are concerned.
pete22
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pete22 »

Maybe im miss understood then, anyway would like to know how them pads are made still ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would describe that sound as a drone. i've never really tried to make those kind of sounds so i not much use here.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

it's a somewhat common chord/sound, that one is pretty good though and yes it is a problem to have too many notes in the chord. I'm pretty sure that the korg legacy collection has a pretty good preset version that you could tweak a bit and play around with if you like softsynths
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

lots of ways to get that sound, you can:

with subtractive synthesis take 2 osc (both sine) pitch one down -5, low pass (or band pass with a slow lfo on the cutoff for some movement)... you can toss a super fast lfo on the cent of the osc to create that wurli/chorus's sound (depending on the synth or lfo you can set a small range so it stays osc between a few cents...)

or you could use any rhodes synth/patch/etc and low pass that play a chord and create a constant loop. Its really about the filter and fxs.

In terms of fx I would maybe add in some auto-filtered noise, crackle etc. You cant really go wrong with a couple of sines lowpassed... its that exact sound with maybe some of the low mids (~200hz scooped out)

If you are using an FM synth, like operator, make the first operator sine, make the second triangle, pitch in down to .5 then bring up the volume to taste. A quick lfo rate on the pitch mostly dry will give the movement and then again filter.

EDIT: upon another listen it sounds like a looped chord played on the rhodes that was sampled, i can hear some of the belly noise associated with that sound its been filtered tho.