DRUMCELL in the studio

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: DRUMCELL in the studio

Post by livecollective »

And if you are confused about my position on modulars... I am more focused on making music. If a modular system fits into that equation at some point then so be it, if it doesn't then so be it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

livecollective wrote:
The right to objectivity? Are you fcking serious. I was saying take a step back and see how funny this whole conversation is. You just reinforced what I said about modular owners refusing to hear anything but their own hot air.

You don't know how I feel about modulars, I never spoke ill of them, just the attitudes the people who use them seem to have.

And I just have to laugh at you saying "I am afraid to say how i feel"... you have been on this forum long enough know that I have no problem telling people how i feel.

I did not read magpie's comments as dismissing all music ever made on a modular... if thats the case then he is far off.
It seems a bit arrogant to say what this whole discussion will look like through an objective lens, by it's very nature it's a collision of opinions and emotions. Maybe that's what your're saying.

Perhaps you do often say how you feel, but your attitude on this topic to me seems to be very hostile, and I don't think there's really much of a reason for it which makes me a bit suspicious of your motivations. 'i'm more focussed on making music' is a very hostile thing to say. And to say that you already know enough about synthesis to know whether or not modular for you.

Anyways, I feel a bit guilty getting all worked up over an internet pissing contest discussion. Good luck with you music. I hope I can find enough time for mine after fitting it around my busy fannying around with modular schedule!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

P.S. I think Jimmy Edgar's music is some of the worst I've ever heard.

(edit. that's probably a bit strong, but I find it really uncomfortable that a caring and sensitive person would include some of the content that makes it into his imagery and lyrics, it sounds like music to accompany sexual assault. I think there are people who do very physical release kind of music but without reaching into your throat and making you vomit out your soul... e.g the one and only Arthur Russell)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

thought i'd post this one, as i think it's a pretty cool modular jam.

Apart from that, i believe techno music is a lot about how one uses technology to make music. One way today is to explore the software side of it (and loads can be achieved there and is still to achieve), another is to explore the big modular explosion we're seeing. I don't own a modular, nor do i have plans to build one in the near future. But having had the chance to play on a small Serge system, i can totally understand the appeal. Guys like steevio imo are showing a lot of what it is capable to do.
Most of it's strength lies in the sequencing capabilities (on the soft side, things like numerology or advanced maxmsp can get you there, but not as intuitively), the hands on interface, which you get with any hardware device, and the quality of the sound of certain elements (OSC, filter, Ring Modulator, etc).

I'm not trying to defend a side or another, but i don't think snoberism is something that comes out of what people like oblioblio and steevio write. I've been really astonished by where it can get you, and how easily you can get lost in such system effectively doing blips and blobs and drones. But after getting over the steep learning curve and knowing your modular and combining it with other tools, you will end up with stuff you wouldn't have come up with in another way. Simply because it triggers the imagination and creativity differently. Most modular heads are aware of that i believe...

edit:

and btw, using a rimshot of a tr-909 to trigger and stop a sequence on a sh-101 is somehow modular, and the tip of what can be achieved.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

That interview was pretty cool, I liked it. On a related tip, been playing this tune a lot recently:

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks Opuswerk for the kind words bro.

this whole modular versus (whatever other synthesizer/sampler/software combo floats your boat) is unbelievable, its become very boring. a modular is just another way of synthesizing and sequencing, infact its the root of all electronic music, it came before everything else and without it electronic music wouldnt exist in the form it is today and this forum wouldnt exist
......its not modulars that make bleeps and bloops its people.

its total ignorance to dismiss a way of making music when you know very little about it or have had no experience of it, and all you have to go on is a few random youtube videos of random people fucking about on them.

this has to be the most narrowminded ignorant and cliche'd thing ive yet read on this forum;
MagpieIndustries wrote:owning a modular takes away your ability to distinguish between a magnificant patch and a lot of bleepy bloopy noises, is more what i mean. :-)

seriously though, i think they give a lot in terms of audio engineering and patching and modulation, but it usually comes at the cost of taste and actually getting on with it and creating listenable music. that drumcell video is a great example, its just pure sh!t beeps and noises. modular owners are so inbred that they have trained themselves to like it by hearing lfos that modulate the amp env decay. but its still just shitty beeps
i for one don't dismiss in an aggressive and condescending way the way any of you guys make music, so why cant the narrowminded haters just get on making music, and let us do the same.... and if its a discussion you want, how about you post some of your music and tell us how you make it, so we have something to compare our inbred bleeps and bloops to.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

there sure are a lot of insecure and threatened people on this board :(

however you want to make music is fine. however that other person wants to make music is also fine. its really fun to focus on your own music and what you like instead of being threatened by the way others do it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i'm probably guilty of being a bit of a dck about saying that modular is the only way to make music. even if I don't state it explicitly, maybe the underlying tone is arrogant and makes people feel defensive.

Livecollective you got some of my anger intended for Magpieindustries who I thought was just acting like a prick with no good reason, and I didn't even think it was worth replying. I ended up picking up on what you said because I much prefer your attitude on the forum generally and thought it a bit out of character for you to be hostile, and thought I might be able to actually have a sensible discussion with you.