hardware track projects

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: hardware track projects

Post by steevio »

sorgenkind wrote: I have been f*king around with gear for one year and a half and got 3 tracks done, 2 of which have already been trashed.
maybe you didnt spend long enough bro, it took me about 5 years to fully master my hardware studio in the beginning, sounds like your set up was very complicated,

its strange how some people can flow better with hardware than software and vice versa, there's no way to explain it.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Opuswerk wrote:I write down patch names and in my DAW MIDI channels.
Same here.

It doesn't take too long to make up a spreadsheet or something to print out and write down patch names in, and name your DAW channels. Unfortunately I still forget sometimes and get frustrated when I load up a project and don't know which patch I was using cos I didn't do that!
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

steevio wrote: maybe you didnt spend long enough bro, it took me about 5 years to fully master my hardware studio in the beginning, sounds like your set up was very complicated,
You might be right steevio, but at the moment I don’t have as much time for the music as I would like to.
Work and family are eating up time, so until things harmonize a bit I just have 2 times a week to go to the studio. Which is in the evening, after a full day work or a full family days. Being you a father you can immagine how exhausting can be a day with a 17 months child... always something going on!

My hardware only setup was a “romantic back to the roots” thing... I started without computer 17 years ago, gradually incorporated computer (ATARI anyone?) and then slipped ITB. After some years of 50/50 I decided to go back to OTB. Tried, didn’t like it enough to persevere and went back ITB.

EDIT: My setup was indeed complicated, maybe too much complicated. IN fact I uninstalled a lot of plugins now that I work almost only ITB, keeping just the one I use a lot, in order not to be overhelmed with tons of options.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorgenkind wrote:(ATARI anyone?)
yay, ive still got mine. rock solid

17 month old kid, thats a busy time bro.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

sorgenkind wrote:
steevio wrote: maybe you didnt spend long enough bro, it took me about 5 years to fully master my hardware studio in the beginning, sounds like your set up was very complicated,
You might be right steevio, but at the moment I don’t have as much time for the music as I would like to.
Work and family are eating up time, so until things harmonize a bit I just have 2 times a week to go to the studio. Which is in the evening, after a full day work or a full family days. Being you a father you can immagine how exhausting can be a day with a 17 months child... always something going on!

My hardware only setup was a “romantic back to the roots” thing... I started without computer 17 years ago, gradually incorporated computer (ATARI anyone?) and then slipped ITB. After some years of 50/50 I decided to go back to OTB. Tried, didn’t like it enough to persevere and went back ITB.

EDIT: My setup was indeed complicated, maybe too much complicated. IN fact I uninstalled a lot of plugins now that I work almost only ITB, keeping just the one I use a lot, in order not to be overhelmed with tons of options.
I can relate.
Youngest just had her first birthday 2 weeks ago. Oldest is 4,5 now.
It's amazing how much time kids can take up.
I always do it with all of my heart, but I wonder if I ever get to do a more 9 to 5 job, when I'll ever find some time for music.

I had a similar thing as you, but for me it was more hardware=>software=>hardware.
I started out about 19 years ago with only hardware. Didn't know what the hell I was doing, didn't have internet or other sources of info either. => lost interest after 2 years.
Restarted about 11 years ago, primarely with hardware, incorporated software a few years later.
Had a mainly hardware setup that grew more and more software oriented. sold a lot of synths.
eventually got back more and more into hardware. Now it's about 70/30.
Funny thing is I ended up working like I imagined I would be working about 8 years ago, when I imagined how I'd like my studio to be.
You know, you read all these things about studio setups at tweakheadz and other sites, and you start thinking what you'd use for drums, how you'd do your sampling, what you'd use for bass. how you'd use patchbays.
blablabla. although it was all purely "theoretical", back then it seemed like the most practical setup I could imagine.
But I never imagined I'd end (going through several types of setups) up with almost exactly that type of setup that I imagined myself to have so many years ago. (size mixer, amount of synths and types of synthesis, patchbays,...)
Seems kind of strange, you know. You'd imagine you'd end up somewhere completely different along the way.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
sorgenkind wrote: I have been f*king around with gear for one year and a half and got 3 tracks done, 2 of which have already been trashed.
maybe you didnt spend long enough bro, it took me about 5 years to fully master my hardware studio in the beginning, sounds like your set up was very complicated,

its strange how some people can flow better with hardware than software and vice versa, there's no way to explain it.

absolutely !
you know, the litte things I can't "save" with my hardware, or that I'd have to take pictures of or make excel-sheets or stuff, I simply don't want to bother with those.
I keep the main stuff written inside my DAW, like the external FX routings, or patch names or numbers, some general patchbay routings, and that's it.
The rest I consider "gone in the moment" or whatever you want to call it.

I also believe that somehow this keeps your mind a bit "sharper". You know, with all the software stuff, if you want a break, or you feel tired or whatever, all you gotta do is press "save" and you're done, you can leave immediately.
If you've got a lot of hardware, you can't just easily leave a magic moment, you're gonna try to squeeze the most out of it, because you know it's sometimes a bit of a hassle to remember/save/photograph/exellsheet/whatever as much as you can if you want to restart the track later.
(If you're in a band and suddenly you got this magic going on for a certain moment, you're also gonna try to squeeze the most out of it at that very moment, and not say "hey, let's try to redo that next saturday", no ?)

So yeah, I'll admit software is defenitely more convenient, but I like the inconvenience of a good hardware setup, I can't help it....
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Hades wrote: So yeah, I'll admit software is defenitely more convenient, but I like the inconvenience of a good hardware setup, I can't help it....
Same here. I really like the immediacy of it, and how you need to listen much more to what you're doing. You do loose conveniency, but you gain a lot in the "liveliness" of your tracks. I do believe however that ITB can become much more complex than working OTB. That of course depends on how much funds you have to satisfy your GAS :P

i really hope projects like what's being done by the guy behind www.ctrlr.org pick up more and allow for a better hardware integration in modern setups.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Opuswerk wrote:
Hades wrote: So yeah, I'll admit software is defenitely more convenient, but I like the inconvenience of a good hardware setup, I can't help it....
Same here. I really like the immediacy of it, and how you need to listen much more to what you're doing. You do loose conveniency, but you gain a lot in the "liveliness" of your tracks. I do believe however that ITB can become much more complex than working OTB. That of course depends on how much funds you have to satisfy your GAS :P

i really hope projects like what's being done by the guy behind www.ctrlr.org pick up more and allow for a better hardware integration in modern setups.
what is that site ?
a source for midi mappings ?