Mutronics Mutator

- ask away
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Mutronics Mutator

Post by NoAffiliation »

oblioblioblio wrote:don't bother.

get a little modular rack. watch your life dissappear. Best music technology in the world.
truth. i have two rack spaces of modules filled, can't wait to sell more sh!t so i can buy more. if i had known this earlier alot of money would have gone to different places over the years.

it also changed the way i use reaktor completely. i never use the factory ensembles. why would you? building the ensembles the same way you do it in hardware is really almost just as fun if you use it with some controllers. reaktor standalone with a hardware modular all day FTW
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

wow. that sounds like a lot of fun. I stopped using all software but I miss the sounds of Reaktor.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

oblioblioblio wrote:@Hydrogen

The TipTop power is not ideal IMHO, especially not the ones with ribbon cable for distribution (instead of boards). My analogue modules sound much better with a good quality PSU. In an analogue circuit the building block of all audio are the power rails, and with poor power and poor power distribution you start getting noise and other problems. Ribbon cables lose a lot of current, and daisy chaining the power from one module to the next (rather than fanning out from the power source like a tree, with each module with it's own link back to the source instead of via it's neighbour) can cause problems. Also digital switching power can be noisy in itself.
i respect your expertise but your point made me curious to have a little search on muffwiggler and found this thread:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... u&start=60

and people are not really sharing your opinion about tip top with ribbon being a bad thing in general. looks always the combination of things...
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I don't want to suggest that you can't make good music without expensive equipment, that's pointless, but the start of this thread was a very high end piece of machinary so I felt OK to tell it exactly how I see it.

I've used several PSUs and power distributions in my system, and I can honestly say that the Hinton one is a cut above everything else. Everything sounds better, the difference is very very noticeable. Some modules with crosstalk from other modules no longer have it. Oscillators and filters sound stronger and cleaner. If you're using mainly digital modules it probably won't be noticeable but my system is mainly analogue and it was a really big change for me.

There's no chance at all that I would use the Tiptop kit for my modules.

Works out fairly cheaply if you max it out at 1.5amps too.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

have you used a tip top zeus so far?
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

nope I used Modular World (poor), Doepfer DIY kit (fine), Blacet PS500 (slightly better).
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i´m on the same page with you regarding quality music hardware. dont know if i´m gonna cry about my zeus when i try to fill the 2nd row. but with 2 powered moduls im still fine and others seem too with way more modules.
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I would keep an ear out for it, a lot of talented engineers have bad things to say about flying busboards.

I've lost more money than I care to imagine on power supplies. Deary me.

Very happy with the Hinton Intruments one, very very high standard of engineering plus lifetime warranty.