steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Legowelt's view on modular.

Post by steevio »

here we go again.

torque i totally disagree with you man,
my acces virus is probably the worst synthesizer ive ever owned

basically i dont care who dismisses modular as some rich kids fetish to make fart noises, or whatever, i dont give a flying fuk.

its totally revolutionised what i do, its totally amazing, i've learned more about synthesis in the last 2 years than i did in the previous 27 (i made my first electronic track in 1983) and i thought i totally understood it all.

now have an infinitely deeper and intuitive understanding and 'feel' of the whole process, and my tracks come out as extensions of myself. my modular is an organic instrument i effectively designed myself to make music the way I want to make it.

no matter what anyone says on here or anywhere else, no matter how experienced they think they are, their words are empty gestures to me. nothing anyone can say will have the slightest effect on me.

and by the way it isnt necessarily that expensive, ive never bought a single module that cost anywhere near $700, the majority of mine average out at about £35 to £80. i've got a few more expensive ones but they are superb bits of kit and worth every penny.

and jah bless the fetishists for creating the market which builds my personal synthesizer for me.

and thats all i'm going to say on this, ive got to get practicing for my gig next week.

have a great weekend :)
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

i really love legowelt´s music.. and i really don´t care what stuff he is using because it is the music that matters in the end
no one who is listening your track at home can´t see your pach cabels or what not anyways
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:he wants polyphony though. if you listen to his tracks you will see why.

he may have a slightly outdated view, but he still makes amazing music so whatever works for him is fine.
i dont think his music is amazing, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Nina Simone, Miles Davis they were amazing.

it doesnt really matter whether he wants polyphony or not, his opinions are based on heresay and not on actual experience, and it doesnt matter what works for him, he's talking about what doesnt work for him, without even trying it, and dismissing the dedicated people who make music that way.

i have polyphony with my modular. ive got 7 VCOs

as it happens there are now individual polyphonic modules almost ready to go on the market, if he had any interest or knowledge about modular synthesis, he'd know that.

how do you know he hasn't tried it from what he said? he never said he hasnt tried modular he just said it doesnt work into his workflow. so this must mean he has tried it and didnt like it. its no different to you slating compressors or eq you know? does that mean you have no idea about compresison or eq? i think not, it just means that it doesnt work for you. the way he worded it was a bit stupid, but to sit here and slate him when none of us actually know the facts is a bit stupid.
no matter what anyone says on here or anywhere else, no matter how experienced they think they are, their words are empty gestures to me. nothing anyone can say will have the slightest effect on me.
why are you reacting then?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:
steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:he wants polyphony though. if you listen to his tracks you will see why.

he may have a slightly outdated view, but he still makes amazing music so whatever works for him is fine.
i dont think his music is amazing, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Nina Simone, Miles Davis they were amazing.

it doesnt really matter whether he wants polyphony or not, his opinions are based on heresay and not on actual experience, and it doesnt matter what works for him, he's talking about what doesnt work for him, without even trying it, and dismissing the dedicated people who make music that way.

as it happens there are now individual polyphonic modules almost ready to go on the market, if he had any interest or knowledge about modular synthesis, he'd know that.

how do you know he hasn't tried it from what he said? he never said he hasnt tried modular he just said it doesnt work into his workflow. so this must mean he has tried it and didnt like it. its no different to you slating compressors or eq you know? does that mean you have no idea about compresison or eq? i think not, it just means that it doesnt work for you. the way he worded it was a bit stupid, but to sit here and slate him when none of us actually know the facts is a bit stupid.
yes he did, in the first sentence in plain english, 'have you ever dabbled in modular synthesizers?' to which he answered 'absolutely not'

i'm not reacting, i'm just one of the chaps who was asked what he thought, and i gave my opinion. what do you expect when someone disses the way you make music like that ?

my comments about EQ and compression have always been based on years of experience using them, i feel i have a right to make qualitative comments about them, on a forum i contribute too.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nakoradiomies wrote:i really love legowelt´s music.. and i really don´t care what stuff he is using because it is the music that matters in the end
no one who is listening your track at home can´t see your pach cabels or what not anyways
thats not even the issue. i really dont care either about what anyone uses to make music, i'm not dissing him for the way he makes music, but i was asked my opinion on his comments, so i gave it.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

steevio wrote:
ray parry wrote:
steevio wrote:

yes he did, in the first sentence in plain english, 'have you ever dabbled in modular synthesizers?' to which he answered 'absolutely not'

i'm not reacting, i'm just one of the chaps who was asked what he thought, and i gave my opinion. what do you expect when someone disses the way you make music like that ?

my comments about EQ and compression have always been based on years of experience using them, i feel i have a right to make qualitative comments about them, on a forum i contribute too.
he goes onto say things that suggest that he does have a tiny bit of knowledge , so i just took it like he didn't really know what 'dabbled' meant. either way, im not really fussed as i believe its not about the instruments and more about the person using them and his case he makes good music so i believe he has a right to say modular is not for him as he obviously has a passion for a certain type of synthesizer. most musicians that i have met and that are in it for real have this sort of view about anything other then what they are using. its like a certain type of arrogance that suggests what im using is better then what you are using, but really it makes no difference as like that post you put up the other week about tom ellis suggests. honestly if someone dissed the way i make music i wouldn't care. because i know deep down its right for me and works for me. im working on trying not to be so sensitive as it gets me nowhere. at one point if someone would have said reason was sh!t i would have flamed them, but i cant be arsed with this attitude anymore. i would rather spend my time in my studio making music then getting aggravated by comments made on the internet.

the problem for me about modular is that it never ends. i remember you saying that you were done now and that you were not buying anymore modules, but from what i have read from your posts on here is that you have bought more and i assume will continue to do so as it evolves and moves forward. some people like things to evolve but i like being limited, im still using the juno 60 and always getting new things out of it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

ray parry wrote:
he goes onto say things that suggest that he does have a tiny bit of knowledge , so i just took it like he didn't really know what 'dabbled' meant. either way, im not really fussed as i believe its not about the instruments and more about the person using them and his case he makes good music so i believe he has a right to say modular is not for him as he obviously has a passion for a certain type of synthesizer. most musicians that i have met and that are in it for real have this sort of view about anything other then what they are using. its like a certain type of arrogance that suggests what im using is better then what you are using, but really it makes no difference as like that post you put up the other week about tom ellis suggests. honestly if someone dissed the way i make music i wouldn't care. because i know deep down its right for me and works for me. im working on trying not to be so sensitive as it gets me nowhere. at one point if someone would have said reason was sh!t i would have flamed them, but i cant be arsed with this attitude anymore. i would rather spend my time in my studio making music then getting aggravated by comments made on the internet.

the problem for me about modular is that it never ends. i remember you saying that you were done now and that you were not buying anymore modules, but from what i have read from your posts on here is that you have bought more and i assume will continue to do so as it evolves and moves forward. some people like things to evolve but i like being limited, im still using the juno 60 and always getting new things out of it.
ok but i took 'absolutely not' as meaning 'i havent got a clue but i might as well regurgitate all the old cliche's about modular anyway' ,

i'm not aggravated, i was asked my opinion and gave it thats all.

buying modules has ended at least for now as far as i'm concerned, i think i've bought two cheap utility modules in the last 18 months, and havent bought one now since last year. i'm totally happy with my rig now. when ive got a bit of money i may buy another one or two cheap utility modules. my live gig case full now.

i personally dont think i'm more likely to make better music than anyone else with my modular, and like you mentioned, people like tom ellis are making amazing music in a completely different way, i dont discriminate as far as working methods are concerned but Legowelt blatantly does.....

no reason for people on this forum to get into an argument about it, its just an opinion.

that really is the last i'm going to say

peace bro.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

funny thing is Legowelt is one of the biggest Giorgio Moroder wannabes going.

Giorgio Moroder and Moog Modular

Logowelt with no modular