Paying netlabels?

- free art
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

isabella wrote:People don't need to buy records. It's old fashioned, not environment friendly and it makes no sense :!:
That's what the artists and the music industry have to realize. Things change.
Please explain this, because I still buy records almost everyday.

What about the majority of people who have no access to the internet? There are people out there who have no idea what a net label is(try explaining to a naive person what a net label is). The only way for them to get the music is to buy records the old fashioned way.
audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

isabella wrote:People don't need to buy records. It's old fashioned, not environment friendly and it makes no sense :!:
ROTFLMFAO
augusto palma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by augusto palma »

I actually buy records even when I need to order it from the U.S. (pretty much expensive as I know), I also download "illegal" mp3s and always feel that I don't have enough money to keep up buying all the vinyl that I liked before as mp3. And I also like downloading stuff from netlabels. A lot.
So what to do, as Luomo once said, "people need to keep listenin' to music, bootlegged or not". I sincerely don't know where I'd be if not for peer2peer software and netlabels. Hell, without the internet I say!
I live in a city where there's no such things as "electronic music clubs" (not even "house" clubs), not vinyl record stores, no nothing...it's the end of the world and here I am, downloading illegal stuff yes, but also gathering the much or less money I have to order all that I can in vinyl. :

- keep releasing: free and also with a cost. I didn't know Ali Khan before his clever netlabel release, and now, I have his 12" in my collection. It's simple as that. If you have quality, you will reach places you don't imagine.
- involve directly with the scene. make some tours, gigs, mount a mini-tour with one or two other dj's/musicians...print t-shirts, press ltd. ed cd-r, dvd-r (audiovisual stuff always kicks ass), press VINYL... I know I know, all of these need money...you need to invest...even more.

I think I'm no hypocrite (nor redundant) when I tell you about the hard economy situation on most of latin american countries. The idea of netlabels sounded already cool to many of us who can afford a 56k or 128k conexion (my case). I will pay for mp3s if I actually have the money, but I have to CHOOSE, and I always choose vinyl records. It's so COOL when GREAT mp3 releases come in 12" (like Ali Khan's).

On other comment, I knew that Pheek played Mexico city recently, but unfortunately (and I tell it seriously) that city is very very far from where I live. :(
::: b a r e m :::
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ::: b a r e m ::: »

steevio wrote:In response to Barem, you misunderstood me, i was just pointing out that our label is already established and we have a steady clientelle who buy our vinyl, so the quality of the music is generally already acceptable. I had already mentioned in a previous post that the quality control of what goes on vinyl and net-label is identical. .
yeah, sure. You´re right! I get your point now.
steevio wrote: i know that i cant make people give us feedback, that wasnt my point, but i do find it hard to take that we give music away for free, and the people who download it havent got the decency to leave a comment whether negative or positive, surely that is the least that we should expect for our efforts.
I know... that´s why I´m so thankful with the people that take the time to listen and to leave comments of my releases. I´m sure that I would be sad if nobody gives me feedback. But I would never be angry with them, or say that they have no decency, as you can´t do the same when you go to play somewhere for free, maybe to help a friend with his party and only a few people pay attention to your set. In a way, you have to be happy with what you do, and I also understand your position, but if nobody leaves a comment but they pay for the release... is that enough?... I don´t think so...
steevio wrote: The middle-way i was referring to, was that there is room for both free net-labels, and pay-for ones, which i already pointed out in my previous posts. Freedom of choice ! We also sell mp3's on Kompakt
Remember, I'm running a free net-label, I'm not argueing against them, my question is how long will my artists provide tunes if they get no feedback ?
That´s very hard to know. It depends a lot in their personality. In my case, I would ask myself if I really want to keep making free music whithout thinking about feedback... that would be a very hard desition and I really don´t know what I would do. What I know, is that I wouldn´t be happy only with money. From my point of view, the number of sales has the same meaning as the number of downloads... it´s just a number that gives you and idea of how many people listened to your work.
steevio wrote: My comment about richie Hawtin, was to illustrate the fact that it is possible to make a living out of this style of music, i didnt say it was posssible to make a living from releases alone, as an underground musician, i am grateful for any money i make in any way, and every little bit helps.
Sure it is! I want to make a living out of this style of music too! and sure that if you get 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a release also helps, but my point is that if you´re not a stablished producer, to give music for free instead of getting those hundred bucks, may help you to become a stablished producer faster and also may help new people to know about our style.
steevio wrote: I agree with you in that i trust net-labels, new artsists etc, and my flippant comment about the net-label concept being dead, was merely to illustrate the depth of feeling of dissatisfaction felt by my artists and myself at the lack of respect shown by downloaders.
i realise now after two weeks of posting on my first ever forum, that i have to make myself more clear. Maybe i should stick to making music.
I understand your feelings, but as I said before, you cannot blame the downloaders... they take the time to download and listen, and that´s also important...
You have to keep posting, that will help you to get some feedback. Misunderstanding happens very often in forums, as many of us speak different languages and we all have to give our ideas away in just a few paragraphs. :D

by the way... which is the URL of your net label? I would like to take a listen! :wink:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hi barem,
we speak different languages, but we speak the same language,
url is www.mindtours.co.uk
::: b a r e m :::
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ::: b a r e m ::: »

steevio wrote:hi barem,
we speak different languages, but we speak the same language,
url is www.mindtours.co.uk
when listening... but when we talk about what we listen... :wink:

I´ll check it out! thanks! :D
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

I really like netlabels because they bring me music/tracks that maybe never will be released on vinyl because it's too weird or whatever.
And since I play with FS, vinyl is just a tool for carrying music around from one place to another.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

minimal house wrote: What about the majority of people who have no access to the internet? There are people out there who have no idea what a net label is(try explaining to a naive person what a net label is). The only way for them to get the music is to buy records the old fashioned way.
well honestly i believe that the vast majority of people who have no access to the internet probably have no access either to an electronic music record store. or if they have acces to one i'm sure the catalog is very reduced. and there's no other way to get to those people but netlabels.